Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tubing Bender

Building this roll cage is at least 6 months away... It is good to know that one set of plans can be built with a drill press, and welder.

I am going to call them and get a few more details and then order the plans.

If I am going to build the roll cage strickly from 1.75" tubing, I only need 1 die???

Quote Originally Posted by shortgoroper View Post
    If I am going to build the roll cage strickly from 1.75" tubing, I only need 1 die???
    Die set. Depending upon which bender you go with, it will either be two or three seperate pieces.
    Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
    Miller DialArc 250
    Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
    Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
    Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
    Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
    South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
    Logan 7" shaper
    Ellis 3000 band saw
    Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
    Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
    3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
    Lots of dust bunnies
    Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

Smile Bender

Bought mine from American Bender. Never sorry I did. But it needed to work out of the box. Built the pedestal and mounting plate prior to it getting here. Then just punched the mounting holes trough after it arrived.

Their machine is hydraulic capable and the whole thing dies included for several sizes of pipe and one made special for small radius bends on stainless steel tube only cost about 1200. Paid for itself first job out as we bent a rail for a 60 foot yacht. Well worth the price and the folks at American Bender were easy to work with.
    Mustangs Forever!

Miller equipment.

A bender is almost next on my list too...I've been looking and looking at all the options and I always keep coming back to the UB-5 at Shop Outfitters.

www.shopoutfitters.com

They really have some nice products that I think are well worth the investment and would never consider trying to build myself.
    Gary
    Ingersol Rand, Makita and Milwaukee Grinders
    Tennsmith Brake

While Shop Outfitters has a nice universal bender, I would be looking to see whether they accepted Hossfeld dies sets. Also, looking at the Hossfeld or American bender would be an option as they would surely accept Hossfeld dies. If you are going to go the route of a universal bender, you may as well have a bender that uses the widest variety of dies on the market. To call any other bender not using the Hossfeld dies 'universal' would be stretching the truth. While anyone can call their product universal, only Hossfeld backs it up with their die inventory. Once again, decide on what you really want to do as the investment in die sets will keep you loyal to your product afterwards. That said, if you are only looking to do tube bending, Hossfeld would be well down the list for my choice as a bender, but as a universal bender it would be first in line.
    Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
    Miller DialArc 250
    Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
    Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
    Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
    Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
    South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
    Logan 7" shaper
    Ellis 3000 band saw
    Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
    Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
    3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
    Lots of dust bunnies
    Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

Pro Tools also offers a set of free plans for a bender. Of course it'll be designed to fit their dies.

I haven't seen the plans so I can vouch for them but free is free.

Free Bender Plans

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinPRanch View Post
    I'll second that. I just got the bender plans from gottrikes.com and have started fabrication in spare time. Very excellent plans at a very fair price.

He also has a video of his bender in operation.

Al
    I'll third that, I just finished building one. It works great. I purchased a 1 5/8 die with a 6 inch CLR and bent a piece of .083 chrome moly.

Quote Originally Posted by ant1277 View Post
    I'll third that, I just finished building one. It works great. I purchased a 1 5/8 die with a 6 inch CLR and bent a piece of .083 chrome moly.
    How much did it cost you, including parts, to build??? DId you build it without using a lathe, or mill???

Quote Originally Posted by shortgoroper View Post
    How much did it cost you, including parts, to build??? DId you build it without using a lathe, or mill???
    It cost around $450 with the pump and die. The die was $230 and the pump was $90. The material I purchased from a local steel supplier and have some left over. All the holes were drilled using a small Jet mill/drill, but laid out with a tape measure. My old craftmans drill press wobbles too much. A drill press will work fine. I do have a lathe and had some round stock laying around, I turned down to make the pins. These pins you can purchase from Tractor Supply, I think I might have saved $25-$30 bucks. I kept the project simple, I didn't have the material and drills too drill much over 1", so I decided not to make the bushings. You can make this no problem with out a mill or lathe. I do have a horizontal bandsaw which made cutting the material easy as its 1/4,1/2 and 5/8 thick.

Quote Originally Posted by ant1277 View Post
    It cost around $450 with the pump and die. The die was $230 and the pump was $90. The material I purchased from a local steel supplier and have some left over. All the holes were drilled using a small Jet mill/drill, but laid out with a tape measure. My old craftmans drill press wobbles too much. A drill press will work fine. I do have a lathe and had some round stock laying around, I turned down to make the pins. These pins you can purchase from Tractor Supply, I think I might have saved $25-$30 bucks. I kept the project simple, I didn't have the material and drills too drill much over 1", so I decided not to make the bushings. You can make this no problem with out a mill or lathe. I do have a horizontal bandsaw which made cutting the material easy as its 1/4,1/2 and 5/8 thick.
    That is some great feedback.. I got a good guy that gets me steel for a steal. haha.. I think I might attempt to build one.