Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tubing Bender

Hybrid View

Default Tubing Bender

Can anyone post some plans for a tubing bender, or even a pipe bender like a harbor freight one????

this place has plans for a nice bender.

http://www.gottrikes.com/

Quote Originally Posted by 6pakdakota View Post
    this place has plans for a nice bender.

http://www.gottrikes.com/
    I'll second that. I just got the bender plans from gottrikes.com and have started fabrication in spare time. Very excellent plans at a very fair price.

He also has a video of his bender in operation.

Al

My question in all of this would be. Are you saving any $$$ over just buying one from JD squared? Or are you building your own so you can say "I built that"? Myself I'd be farther ahead to just buy one rather than building my own that way I can get to bending and building right away. A JD squared bender is in my future additions to my tool collection.
    Blondie (Owner C & S Automotive)

Colt the original point & click interface!

Millermatic 35 with spot panel
    Miller 340A/BP
    Victor O/A torches
    Lincoln SP125
    Too many other tools to list

03 Ram 1500
    78 GS1000
    82 GL1100 Interstate

If you gotta get to work right away buying would be the way to go. There are a lot of nice benders made.

Cost of building one depends on what material you have on hand, time available, skills, etc. For me it's just another winter project. Trying to use what I got and make it all work. No hurry.

Anyway you go though the dies are a few bucks.

But yeah, it's partially a "I built that" project.

Al

Whatever route you go, either homebuilt or purchased, do it with your eyes wide open. Realize that once you decide what dies you are going to use, unless you wish to build your own die sets, you will be locked into your decision due to the high price of the dies. The sellers of the benders ought to give their benders away and make up for the loss in future die sales...

A couple of die sets will run you the price of a bender from most of the manufacturers.
    Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
    Miller DialArc 250
    Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
    Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
    Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
    Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
    South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
    Logan 7" shaper
    Ellis 3000 band saw
    Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
    Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
    3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
    Lots of dust bunnies
    Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinPRanch View Post
    I'll second that. I just got the bender plans from gottrikes.com and have started fabrication in spare time. Very excellent plans at a very fair price.

Al
    Did you have to do any machining??? I dont have a lathe. Also, where did you get the dies??? I plany on using 1.75" tubing to build a roll cage.

Quote Originally Posted by shortgoroper View Post
    Did you have to do any machining??? I dont have a lathe. Also, where did you get the dies??? I plany on using 1.75" tubing to build a roll cage.
    There are actually 2 versions of the bender included with the plans. One set can be built with a drill press, welder and hand tools. The other does have some bushings that are lathe fabricated.

Both benders do the same thing and use the same dies. A couple of convenience features with the bushings is all it seems.

As others have said....they sure ain't giving dies away. I still haven't bought the dies and I'm trying to come up with a way to make my own.

Al

Building this roll cage is at least 6 months away... It is good to know that one set of plans can be built with a drill press, and welder.

I am going to call them and get a few more details and then order the plans.

If I am going to build the roll cage strickly from 1.75" tubing, I only need 1 die???

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinPRanch View Post

Al
    I'll third that, I just finished building one. It works great. I purchased a 1 5/8 die with a 6 inch CLR and bent a piece of .083 chrome moly.