Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Wheel House Fish House

I have a portable fish house I made on a metal frame. The design allows the fish house to be raised and lowered on the ice. I use 5/16" stainless cables which pass through pulleys to do the work.

The problem is up here in Wisconsin the salt on the roads eats the cables up, even stainless, so I want to switch to using web straps. Now I need someone who knows engineering to help me with this question. If I create a scissor of two pieces of flat stock on each side of my two piece hitch, will the pull on the center of the metal scissor be the same as the pull was using a pulley to do the work. In my old feeble mind I think pulling on the center of the unit would create same effect. I would put bearings at the connection points. Maybe pulling on the center of the scissor won't close up the hitch. The reason it opens it so you can leave the fish house attached to the tow vehicle and still lower it to the ice.

I have attached a drawing that I tried to make. Don't know if it makes sense or not.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Leefy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dynasty 350 - My New Baby
    Millermatic 210 Mig with Spoolmate 3035
    Miller Thunderbolt XL 225/150 AC/DC Stick Welder
    Miller Specturm 625 Plasma Cutter
    Speedglas 9100 auto dark helmet
    Jackson auto dark helmet
    18.5 CFM Eagle Compressor
    Oxy/Act
    Horizontal Band Saw
    Dewalt 14" Chop Saw
    7 1/2 Dewalt Angle Grinder
    4 - 4 1/2" Sears Angle Grinders
    1 - 4" Makita Angle Grinder
    2 - IR Die Grinders
    All of which my wife says will be a "he$$ of a garage sale"

Quote Originally Posted by Leefy View Post

I have attached a drawing that I tried to make. Don't know if it makes sense or not.
    Leefy
    no not realy

Sorry

My drawing skills are poor. The bottom piece in the drawings is the frame of the fish house. Going to the left on the bottom piece goes under the walls of the fish house. There are two trailer wheels on the sides of the house that also raise and lower. The top piece of this drawing goes to the trailer hitch on the tow vehicle. The two pieces v out when you turn the winch and allows the main trailer frame to go down to the ice. Then you crank it back up, put a pin in the brackets to hold it, crank down the wheels and you are back underway home from the lake.

Just trying to replace the cable with the pulley and use a strap pulling the two v'ed pieces together to raise the front of the fish house.

Hope this explanation helps. If it is still clear as mud, forgive me. I'll tack some bolts on the pieces and attach the cable and what happens.

Never was much good at drawing or explaining. (or anything else for that matter)

Dynasty 350 - My New Baby
    Millermatic 210 Mig with Spoolmate 3035
    Miller Thunderbolt XL 225/150 AC/DC Stick Welder
    Miller Specturm 625 Plasma Cutter
    Speedglas 9100 auto dark helmet
    Jackson auto dark helmet
    18.5 CFM Eagle Compressor
    Oxy/Act
    Horizontal Band Saw
    Dewalt 14" Chop Saw
    7 1/2 Dewalt Angle Grinder
    4 - 4 1/2" Sears Angle Grinders