Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Need Help Designing a Plow

I'm working with a John Deere 955 tractor with a 3 point hitch. I'm trying to design a snow plow that extends out the right side to clear a 4' sidewalk without driving the tractor on it. I need to figure out a way to retract it as well so it can be driven down the road. I can always add weight to the left side to counter balance the tractor if necessary for a heavier snow. I'm also thinking about making it so the blade can be removed to be reversed for driving forward or backward.

Has anyone ever done anything like this ? Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

Are you trying to build a wing?

If you know what a scraper blade looks like for the back of a farm tractor, thats pretty close to what I'm trying to build except I want it to slide out so I can drive beside the walk and lower the blade onto the walk to clear the snow off.

The walk is 4' wide and 1000' long on a bridge with Amtrak trains underneath. Cannot use a snowblower without getting fried to a crisp and too much to shovel.
    Ken

Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press

2009 FXDC

Not sure I'd want something sticking out four feet that was hooked to my 3-point. If you hit something that won't move, I'm guessing you'll hurt the tractor pretty good. The arms on the 3-point aren't the strongest things, and they don't flex well.

No front bucket? I'd be a lot more comfy designing something that could replace the bucket to do that kind of work.

Hank
    ...from the Gadget Garage
    Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
    Handler 210 w/DP3035
    TA185TSW
    Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

There is no possibility of hitting anything. The other side of the walk has a 4' high concrete wall, solid concrete walk a foot thick, no joints other than tooled joints in the wall. Bridge has metal expansion slots but the plow wont be touching the bridge deck and that is also a smooth concrete surface. Also a JD 955 will not fit on a 4' sidewalk otherwise I could use the front plow I have.

The unit itself would only weigh around a couple hundred pounds, an 18" - 22" high blade, 6' - 7' long maximum.

I'll be building the final design so the frame can be made stiff enough or made to fasten to the frame to stabilize it if necessary.
    Ken

Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press

2009 FXDC

KBAR,
    Check this video out. I know this one is big, but you can get some ideas from this unit and even see how it retracts. Maybe an ATV plow blade or even a gravely plow blade will work for what you are trying to accomplish with your tractor with fabrication and hydraulics of coarse.
    T.J.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98YrJ...eature=related
    Miller Dynasty 300DX
    HTP MIG 240
    HTP 380 Plasma

Bridgeport Milling Machine
    South Bend Lathe
    Etc. Etc....
    tjsperformance.com

Buy yourself an atv with a 4 feet plow in the front and fly at her.
    Then take the blade off and go have fun.