Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TJS View Post
    This is a budget build as the title states. I am using the scrap I have laying around. I have spent so far $0.00 to this point. I machined the mouting plate for the light bar (no pics). I cut the uprights out of 4x2 rect. 10gauge. I also cut the mounting plates for the bed. I had all this steel laying around. I already have the expanded metal (cage) to protect the glass laying around. I need to get a few feet of more 4x2 and some 3" flat. Here are some pics of what I have done so far.

I was able to find the angle of the cab with this great tool. Digital anlgle finder.

Then I cut calculated how high I want this thing to be and cut the uprights to the proper angle. Remember you are cutting from 90 degress. I wanted the uprights to be at 72 degrees so I made the cut at 18 degrees.

Here is the upright.

These are the 12x5x 1/4" base plate. Notice the holes in this stuff, again more scrap. These plates cover up the front stake pockets. So I will machine a hole in them so I do not loose the functionality of the stake pockets.

T.J.
    I really appreciated your explanation of the process of finding the cut angle for the uprights.Can you tell me what the cut angle for the top of the uprights were? Thanks Mike

Quote Originally Posted by crawdaddy View Post
    I really appreciated your explanation of the process of finding the cut angle for the uprights.Can you tell me what the cut angle for the top of the uprights were? Thanks Mike
    I really cannot remember as I write all the stuff down on my steel bench and then clean it off. But using angles: If the angle on the truck bed up right is 72 degrees then the opposite should be 108 degrees. 72 + 108=180.

However this means that each of the angles for the top piece should be
    108/2=54 degrees each, but you are calculating from the included angle which is 90. So 90 54 =36 degrees. I think this is what I cut them for. This is why I did it in wood first.
    T.J.
    Miller Dynasty 300DX
    HTP MIG 240
    HTP 380 Plasma

Bridgeport Milling Machine
    South Bend Lathe
    Etc. Etc....
    tjsperformance.com

Thanks for the reply, Laying out & calculating angles is an area were I could use improvement.Mike

Quote Originally Posted by TJS View Post
    I really cannot remember as I write all the stuff down on my steel bench and then clean it off. But using angles: If the angle on the truck bed up right is 72 degrees then the opposite should be 108 degrees. 72 + 108=180.

However this means that each of the angles for the top piece should be
    108/2=54 degrees each, but you are calculating from the included angle which is 90. So 90 54 =36 degrees. I think this is what I cut them for. This is why I did it in wood first.
    T.J.
    Hey guys;

Truck bed upright = 72 Deg.
    Bottom cut = 90Deg. - 72deg. = 18deg.
    Top cut ( compound angle ) = 18 deg. + 18 deg. = 36 deg.

Same Result, Different route !

........... Norm

Sunrise Outside My Shop In Delhi, Ontario

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Ranger 8- Engine Drive- CC\CV:

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .
    - DeWalt Compressor - 13cfm, @ 100 psi.

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Default Truck Rack Project

T.J.,

Your project has got to be the best documented, photographed, and explained project I have ever viewed on this site!

You took the time to show every detail. You are indeed a very well qualified craftsman!

I enjoyed viewing the progress and reading your notes on how everything went together.

Congratulations! Excellent work!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by nfinch86 View Post
    Hey guys;

Truck bed upright = 72 Deg.
    Bottom cut = 90Deg. - 72deg. = 18deg.
    Top cut ( compound angle ) = 18 deg. + 18 deg. = 36 deg.

Same Result, Different route !

........... Norm
    Hi Norm,So for the top cut is the upright cut at 18 deg and the horizontal matching piece cut at 18 deg for a total of 36 deg? I just want to be clear.Thanks Mike

Crawdaddy Hi;

Yes, The Bottom cut is at 18* to give you a 72* angle on the Upright !
    On the Top cut each One @ 18* to give you 180* or Horizontal ! ( 36* Compound Angle )

Crawdaddy, in otherwards you make Three Cuts @ 18* Each , That's Per Side of the rack !

.............. Norm :
    Last edited by nfinch86; 01-05-2010 at 05:07 AM.

Sunrise Outside My Shop In Delhi, Ontario

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Ranger 8- Engine Drive- CC\CV:

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .
    - DeWalt Compressor - 13cfm, @ 100 psi.

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Thanks Norm.Mike

Quote Originally Posted by nfinch86 View Post
    Crawdaddy Hi;

Yes, The Bottom cut is at 18* to give you a 72* angle on the Upright !
    On the Top cut each One @ 18* to give you 180* or Horizontal ! ( 36* Compound Angle )

Crawdaddy, in otherwards you make Three Cuts @ 18* Each , That's Per Side of the rack !

.............. Norm :
    Norm, You better go back to school as your dimensions don't work! If you cut them all at 18* then the top bar would be pointed up in the air as you only have a total of 54*. If the bottom cut was 18* then the total degrees needed at the top for a 90 is 72* which is 90* less 18* = 72*. So you would cut the top of the upright at 36* & the end of the cross bar at 36*. Adding it all up would give you 90 degrees. This would be for one side.
    Last edited by MMW; 01-05-2010 at 07:57 AM.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Quote Originally Posted by MMW View Post
    Norm, You better go back to school as your dimensions don't work! If you cut them all at 18* then the top bar would be pointed up in the air as you only have a total of 54*. If the bottom cut was 18* then the total degrees needed at the top for a 90 is 72* which is 90* less 18* = 72*. So you would cut the top of the upright at 36* & the end of the cross bar at 36*. Adding it all up would give you 90 degrees. This would be for one side.

Hehe. This is what I stated in my first post.

TOP Cut: 108*
    But this is a compound miter cut on 2 separate pieces so 108/2=54* but you
    need to subtract from the included angle which is 90, so 90*-54* = 36*, thus
    both pieces will require a cut of 36*.
    /
    108*/__72*

Bottom Cut: 90*(included angle)-72*=18*(this is what the bottom tube is cut to)
    Miller Dynasty 300DX
    HTP MIG 240
    HTP 380 Plasma

Bridgeport Milling Machine
    South Bend Lathe
    Etc. Etc....
    tjsperformance.com