Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Head Ache Rack on a Budget

This is a budget build as the title states. I am using the scrap I have laying around. I have spent so far $0.00 to this point. I machined the mouting plate for the light bar (no pics). I cut the uprights out of 4x2 rect. 10gauge. I also cut the mounting plates for the bed. I had all this steel laying around. I already have the expanded metal (cage) to protect the glass laying around. I need to get a few feet of more 4x2 and some 3" flat. Here are some pics of what I have done so far.

I was able to find the angle of the cab with this great tool. Digital anlgle finder.

Then I cut calculated how high I want this thing to be and cut the uprights to the proper angle. Remember you are cutting from 90 degress. I wanted the uprights to be at 72 degrees so I made the cut at 18 degrees.

Here is the upright.

These are the 12x5x 1/4" base plate. Notice the holes in this stuff, again more scrap. These plates cover up the front stake pockets. So I will machine a hole in them so I do not loose the functionality of the stake pockets.

T.J.
    Miller Dynasty 300DX
    HTP MIG 240
    HTP 380 Plasma

Bridgeport Milling Machine
    South Bend Lathe
    Etc. Etc....
    tjsperformance.com

Machined the plates for the stake pocket and also did more simple geometry for the miter cut for the top piece. I mocked it up with wood. The digital level reads in 10ths. So you really can't get more level than that. Yay my math worked. Here are some pics. And, I still only have 40 bucks into this thing.
    T.J.

Miller Dynasty 300DX
    HTP MIG 240
    HTP 380 Plasma

South Bend Lathe
    Etc. Etc....
    tjsperformance.com

More.

Miller Dynasty 300DX
    HTP MIG 240
    HTP 380 Plasma

South Bend Lathe
    Etc. Etc....
    tjsperformance.com

I was able to tack it alltogether on the truck. Here it is in the garage.

Clamped it to the bench for a full weld of the joints to eliminate movement.

All tight and ready to weld.

Full weld.
    Miller Dynasty 300DX
    HTP MIG 240
    HTP 380 Plasma

South Bend Lathe
    Etc. Etc....
    tjsperformance.com

Another shot. I also smoothed out the outside corners for painting.

Stood the rack up on the bench and tacked it down for a full flange weld.

Ready to go. Both sides are tacked to the bench.

Full weld.
    Miller Dynasty 300DX
    HTP MIG 240
    HTP 380 Plasma

South Bend Lathe
    Etc. Etc....
    tjsperformance.com

Letting it cool fully. Had lunch.

Mock up test fit. It did not move too much the bolts still line up...

I will round the corners when ready.

Shot from the back. I left it high because there willl be a light panel too.
    Miller Dynasty 300DX
    HTP MIG 240
    HTP 380 Plasma

South Bend Lathe
    Etc. Etc....
    tjsperformance.com

Quote Originally Posted by TJS View Post
    Machined the plates for the stake pocket and also did more simple geometry for the miter cut for the top piece. I mocked it up with wood. The digital level reads in 10ths. So you really can't get more level than that. Yay my math worked. Here are some pics. And, I still only have 40 bucks into this thing.
    T.J.

I was going to ask you why you didn't just use the plasma cutter to make the cutouts, but then i popped over to check out your website, and thought "ah hah, he sure does like precise, quality work." That is some nice work done at your shop.

Well that looks good

Quote Originally Posted by Joe from N.Y. View Post
    I was going to ask you why you didn't just use the plasma cutter to make the cutouts, but then i popped over to check out your website, and thought "ah hah, he sure does like precise, quality work." That is some nice work done at your shop.

Thanks, but that is not my shop, all the work done is at my house in my garage. I consider myself lucky.
    T.J.
    Miller Dynasty 300DX
    HTP MIG 240
    HTP 380 Plasma

South Bend Lathe
    Etc. Etc....
    tjsperformance.com

Quote Originally Posted by TJS View Post
    This is a budget build as the title states. I am using the scrap I have laying around. I have spent so far $0.00 to this point. I machined the mouting plate for the light bar (no pics). I cut the uprights out of 4x2 rect. 10gauge. I also cut the mounting plates for the bed. I had all this steel laying around. I already have the expanded metal (cage) to protect the glass laying around. I need to get a few feet of more 4x2 and some 3" flat. Here are some pics of what I have done so far.

I was able to find the angle of the cab with this great tool. Digital anlgle finder.

Then I cut calculated how high I want this thing to be and cut the uprights to the proper angle. Remember you are cutting from 90 degress. I wanted the uprights to be at 72 degrees so I made the cut at 18 degrees.

Here is the upright.

These are the 12x5x 1/4" base plate. Notice the holes in this stuff, again more scrap. These plates cover up the front stake pockets. So I will machine a hole in them so I do not loose the functionality of the stake pockets.

T.J.
    I really appreciated your explanation of the process of finding the cut angle for the uprights.Can you tell me what the cut angle for the top of the uprights were? Thanks Mike