Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Exclamation Silicosis Risk..!!

the safety and/or usability of making and using a sandblaster out of a short wide thinwall tank like a 20lb propane can be argued amongst yourselves.... I personally would not be within 50ft of one.......
    some will be driven to construct one simply because they can.... not because it is a good idea.... and they will....

the real reason for this post is to suggest that if you plan on doing any sandblasting outside of a cabinet...
    Wear Protection!!!

Silicosis is a very real hazard to people who sandblast... so make sure that you have a source of clean air under your hood while sandblasting...
    here is a link..

http://www.silicosis.com/respirators/index.php

take some time and do an additional search, read and understand the hazards.. before the next time you sandblast...

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

2 year old thread or not, I whole-heartily agree with Bearston and the others who urge you against building pressure vessel projects.
    http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=69011
    The very real threat is nothing to play with. I'm done now, good day.
    http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...ht=garage+bomb
    Danny

Quote Originally Posted by H80N View Post
    the safety and/or usability of making and using a sandblaster out of a short wide thinwall tank like a 20lb propane can be argued amongst yourselves.... I personally would not be within 50ft of one.......
    some will be driven to construct one simply because they can.... not because it is a good idea.... and they will.......
    Those pics say enough for anybody with any common sense to avoid such a suicidal project....

but I would like to change what I said about avoiding such a thing by 50ft..... I was wrong.... Make that 100ft...

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

Quote Originally Posted by BREED View Post
    I have a 500 gallon propane tank that I think Im going to make a blaster out of. I have no other use for it.
    or your life either.....

so........................

In your case we will make the standoff distance 1000ft.......

Darwin in action.......................

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

Old large propane tanks are best used for pig cookers, not continued as pressure vessels.

If you can't afford a properly engineered pressure vessel you don't need a pressure vessel. Find a way to fix the money problem instead. Pig cookers sell for good money by the way.

This thread deserves revival as a reminder not to do hideously stupid projects.

I don't really care much if a builder injures themselves by such deliberately negligent acts, but if a vessel goes "boom" and turns someone's kid into a spray of teeth, hair and eyeballs that isn't cool at all.

"Sorry about yer dead curtain climber, but I needed to sandblast some junk. She was kinda homely anyway and you are still young enough to squirt out a replacement" probably won't go over well.

I have edited my original post to discourage anyone who might be foolish enough to attempt this. See the first post for details. Thanks to all for either the encouragement, or the admonishment. I appreciated both.
    Millermatic 211
    Everlast 200DX TIG
    Lincoln Weld-Pak 100
    Century Stick welder
    Hypertherm Powermax 30 plasma cutter
    Oxy set-up with Henrob 2000 torch
    Logan 200 lathe (60 years old)
    Jet band saw

I've built a few pressure blasters out of big propain tanks. Here's an article on one of them.

http://gwd.weldingmag.com/mag/gwd_24556/
    Miller matic 350P
    Millermatic 252/Spool gun
    Miller Spectrum 875 plasma
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller Coolmate 3
    Miller Elite ( INFERNO Digital)
    2008 Miller Trailblazer 302/Custom trailer
    Custom DX200 Crazy Cart
    Sofia 13 X 30 Lathe
    MODERN 10X50 knee mill with Fagor 40i DRO
    Craftex 30 Mill/Drill

All this stuff below was done with Miller gear

My YouTube vids:

http://www.youtube.com/user/7863348

Flickr photo's:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/15602393@N05/sets/

Exclamation Danger......

Quote Originally Posted by wildfire View Post
    I've built a few pressure blasters out of big propain tanks. Here's an article on one of them.

http://gwd.weldingmag.com/mag/gwd_24556/
    Wildfire
    just because you got it into print does NOT make it a good idea!!!

modifying a pressure vessel without the proper engineering or hydrostatic test is not a good practice... it is downright dangerous and ill advised.....
    Sandblasters are particularly dangerous because the sand/abrasive will erode the inside surfaces as it is being used leaving the outside visually fine...

The outside may look perfect but the inside may get worn paper thin over time... leaving it primed for a catastrophic and deadly rupture at any time....

This is especially dangerous for beginners who;s skills are lacking and who look to more experienced members for sound advice...

This is a Very DANGEROUS practice... use some common sense and do NOT do it...!!

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

Propane tanks are rated at 350psi and they have a escape valve set at 250psi (Propane requires 177psi of pressure to stay liquid). If the propane tanks couldn't handle the 125psi set on that sandblaster then I could say a lot people would be dead by now.

A year ago I built a sandblaster with a propane tank but I did tested the tank before using with air. Filled the tank with water, making sure no air's inside and then I used my pressure washer at 50% more than the rating of the tank. I did had my propane tank inside a container full of water but I was told later on that I didn't had to. I kept the same pressure for about 10-15 minutes and no leaks.