Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ricau View Post
    Nice project Jonh and it's a good size for portable and small job. A use to be a sandblaster my self for 5 ears, 7 ears ago whit industriel big stuff!! Your kit is very cool , and y see that your a welder debutant seeing your welds
    Ricau
    Indeed i am. if i was younger, i would have been embarrassed to post the photos of my crap welds, but at this point in life, what the h e l l. if somebody could get an idea from the photos, great. I haven't touched a welding machine in over 10 years. i just retired from a hectic public sector job that kept me busy for years. i am finally getting around to doing the things i used to like to do in my free time. i picked up a 1988 jeep wrangler that needs a bit of welding, so i will get a bit better hopefully when the weather improves here in NY

Quote Originally Posted by Joe from N.Y. View Post
    Indeed i am. if i was younger, i would have been embarrassed to post the photos of my crap welds, but at this point in life, what the h e l l. if somebody could get an idea from the photos, great. I haven't touched a welding machine in over 10 years. i just retired from a hectic public sector job that kept me busy for years. i am finally getting around to doing the things i used to like to do in my free time. i picked up a 1988 jeep wrangler that needs a bit of welding, so i will get a bit better hopefully when the weather improves here in NY
    Practice, settings and seat time Joe...
    T.J.
    Miller Dynasty 300DX
    HTP MIG 240
    HTP 380 Plasma

Bridgeport Milling Machine
    South Bend Lathe
    Etc. Etc....
    tjsperformance.com

Nice job JOE! Looks just as good as a retail unit. Keep up the good work. Darrell

Hey Joe,
    Thanks for the photos.
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Joe from N.Y. View Post
    Yeah, that is 2 inch pipe cut off for a filler hole. You use a funnel and pour your media in then cap it tight, using a piece of an old innertube as a gasket.
    hey, i made a blaster a few months back, it is similar to yours, the filler port is the same, 2" nipple and cap. how do you have the inner tube sealing the cap? could you take a pic? mines leaking, i tried a few diff ways to place the tube but it still leaks.
    thanks

I used a radius arm grommet from a ford pickup. pull it up to seal and when the pressure drops it opens. Used pressure washer hose for the blast hose and 1/8 xh pipe nipples for the blast nozzles.
    There is a valve on the bottom to regulate the sand and I made long wand. I didn't use a dead man.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by KYZAAC View Post
    hey, i made a blaster a few months back, it is similar to yours, the filler port is the same, 2" nipple and cap. how do you have the inner tube sealing the cap? could you take a pic? mines leaking, i tried a few diff ways to place the tube but it still leaks.
    thanks
    I know you solved your problem, but i will post this here for the benefit of those who might have the same question:

mine is not a perfect seal. It is good, but there is a slight air leak. It never bothered me enough to look any further into fixing it. I used a rubber circle of inner tube to fit in the cap.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Millermatic 211
    Everlast 200DX TIG
    Lincoln Weld-Pak 100
    Century Stick welder
    Hypertherm Powermax 30 plasma cutter
    Oxy set-up with Henrob 2000 torch
    Logan 200 lathe (60 years old)
    Jet band saw

Default Dope it

Smear some pipe dope on the threads - or teflon tape. The nipple probably doesn't butt up against the cap so the tube gasket won't help a lot.

Great job. Great idea. I'll put that on my someday list.

Quote Originally Posted by jerems View Post
    Smear some pipe dope on the threads - or teflon tape. The nipple probably doesn't butt up against the cap so the tube gasket won't help a lot.

Great job. Great idea. I'll put that on my someday list.
    Yeah, i never looked close until i took this photo this week, the nipple does not seat up against the rubber piece, i guess that is why i get a leak. i don't want to use dope on the threads, the sand will stick when i fill through the nipple and will make like a lapping compound and wear the threads over time. i think i will put probably a half of a tube of latex or silicone sealant caulking compound in the bottom of the cap and let it harden to like rubber. that would most likely give me a better seal. Thanks
    Millermatic 211
    Everlast 200DX TIG
    Lincoln Weld-Pak 100
    Century Stick welder
    Hypertherm Powermax 30 plasma cutter
    Oxy set-up with Henrob 2000 torch
    Logan 200 lathe (60 years old)
    Jet band saw

very cool project! have you ever thought of using 2 20lb bottles and cutting one in 1/2 and cutting the ends off another the take the 2 1/2 pieces and weld them on the section you cut the ends off then you will have more capcity. just a thought