Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default pipe

broccoli1, of course i get it. it was the delivery that cracked me up. i have a position in a publicly traded company called Genentech. look them up on the nyse, the symbol is DNA. no point in going any further with this thread.

have a good day'
    fdc

Quote Originally Posted by fdcmiami View Post
    well then maybe the sideboom operator should have responded instead of you.

another "reggie in wolf's clothing."
    Nope.... Not Reggie.

He is his own personl, just as I am my own person. Try to keep it straight Brainiac.

Sideboom operator uses same principle I do - Multiple bends over a given distance, then go back over it again to tighten up the radius.

No napkins...

No Calculations....

No Condescending, Holier Than Thou Mouthpiece flapping his lips until he wakes up spitting out his chicklets...

Just taking the task in placed in front of you and doing it.

Real World. Real Time.

Now, this being the internet, and you being a self apponted Internet Welding Gawd... You may conduct yourself as you wish. You have already proven that you are a jerk-off, and a bit of an idiot, but that is up to you....

Most people that try to come across as Highly Intellectual, end up being clueless and arrogant. You are no different.

I wish you the best of luck on your project Gary, whichever method you choose.
    Later,
    Jason

Professional Spark Generator by Trade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8Ae27Mg740

The video that the mouthpiece linked to is very, very neat to watch.

I especially like how they use a hydraulic ram and two dies (also known as a tubing bender or slip rolls depending on the shape of the dies) and add a motorized feed system (to convert the slip rolls into a proper ring roller) to produce the helix end product.

The mouthpiece "approves" the end machine that makes the end product.

A number of us proposed the intial machine, the tubing bender (or slip roll) as a solution to Gary's situation.... and we were told that we didn't KNOW what we were talking about.....

Just struck me as funny, and worth mentioning.

Have a Good Day!

LOL
    Later,
    Jason

Yes that was an interesting video, now what would be a neat trick is to straighten that tube / pipe out / return to original shape!
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

That would be one heck of a trick!... ESPECIALLY if it was TUBING!

I would pay admission to see that.

I have never seen slip rolls used successfully to reverse the process, but there are individuals out there WAY smarter and more experienced than I am.
    Later,
    Jason

I've been following this post for days and keeping my mouth shut. However it seems this has gotten way out of hand. The original poster Gary merely was asking for opinions on how to use what he had on hand to do a job and some got way too technical about it. There were several posts that didn't involve a bunch of complicated equations to solve the situation. However I didn't see but one or two that would actually work with the log splitter hydraulics he has on hand to work with.

Sure it's going to take him a little time to get it done but it can be done with what he has to work with. There is no reason that he can't make up some dies to temporarily mount to his log splitter to form the tubing or pipe whichever he ends up using to make his corral. It's not like he's building a space ship or something where tolerances need to be held to .0001+-.

If he lived closer to me I have access to 2 Roundo rollers which would roll his tubing into arcs, but he doesn't so this isn't the route he can take. As he stated previously the only source he had to roll the pipe didn't do such a great job the first time and the shop was really too small to do what he needed done. I feel that I am lucky to have access to so many fabricating machines that I can create almost anything. I have only a few pictures of some of the stuff I have made but haven't a clue how to post any of them. If I do figure it out someday I will post some of the stuff I have made and I have made quite a bit of round railing for tanks.

I'm sure all posters here were well intended and I seriously hope that no one is seriously offended by the remarks made in here. We're all here to give advice based on our experiences and draw upon the experiences of others. I would hope we can all act like adults here and act accordingly and not sling mud at each other (we already did that as kids in the sandbox).

Just my two cents!
    Blondie (Owner C & S Automotive)

Colt the original point & click interface!

Millermatic 35 with spot panel
    Miller 340A/BP
    Victor O/A torches
    Lincoln SP125
    Too many other tools to list

03 Ram 1500
    78 GS1000
    82 GL1100 Interstate

Quote Originally Posted by Black Wolf View Post
    That would be one heck of a trick!... ESPECIALLY if it was TUBING!

I would pay admission to see that.

I have never seen slip rolls used successfully to reverse the process, but there are individuals out there WAY smarter and more experienced than I am.
    I've used a roll to flatten a plate that was rolled wrong but never done it with tubing or pipe, in fact I've never attempted it. I am human and do make mistakes but either scrap the mis-rolled tubing or save it for a job that requires a tighter radius.

I am with you on paying admission to see that mess straightened out on the same machine that created it!!

Miller 340A/BP
    Victor O/A torches
    Lincoln SP125

03 Ram 1500
    78 GS1000
    82 GL1100 Interstate

Default reggie

are you sure you are not reggie? maybe reggie with spell check?

it appears you and reggie would be good friends in the "real world" lol
    what a bag of air you are. tough guy. lol

what happened to harv's post "been there, done that" about helical layout.

Are you a flamer or what? Obviously you're trying to start a war here and showing off your college education along with it. So you're an engineer. So what??

I'll bet you wouldn't last 5 minutes in a real fabricating shop and actually getting your hands dirty. Would you? A lot of us have been doing this for 30+ years now. Are you insinuating that we are stupid??? It sure comes off like you are!!! Just because some one has the lack of machinery at his disposal does not mean he can not do the job using an alternative method. It's been done for years before any of us were born and will continue for years after we die. And most of the people doing this do not have high priced educations to wave under everyone's noses. It's pure elbow grease, grit and determination that built this country into what it is. How on earth do you think the first lathe or mill were created? There were no lathes or mills to machine the parts. They used a rough creation of their idea and continued to refine them to the precision machines they are today!!!

Miller 340A/BP
    Victor O/A torches
    Lincoln SP125

03 Ram 1500
    78 GS1000
    82 GL1100 Interstate

Default reggie

By the way who in the heck is reggie anyway. I don't know any reggie other than the character in the old Archie comics.

Miller 340A/BP
    Victor O/A torches
    Lincoln SP125

03 Ram 1500
    78 GS1000
    82 GL1100 Interstate