Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

2 Things:

1) I am NOT Reggie..... and accusing me of being "Reggie with a spellcheck" is only gonna tick HIM off if he reads it.

2) There is nothing wrong with mathmatics. I use calculations for layouts all the time. There is a time, and a place. On a project such as this, my mind pictures what equipment I need, or can cobble up to do the bending, and NOT to grabbing a calculator to lay out on paper to the thousandths of an inch.

The calculations, and the ABILITY to easily do the calculations for the arc are great, but they are not going to be able to quatitatively allow you to compensate for spring back etc, you have to know how to think on the fly, and use your hands, so to speak.

Gary never mentioned if this is NEW 2-3/8 tubing (which I doubt) or if it is the used, contaminated, magnetic, CRAP that I have had to fight with that is almost plugged solid with Parrafins and other forms of wax.

If it is of the used variety, then no amount of calculations are going to help out (other than to give you some good measurements) as the tubing will vary from one foot to another depending on how washed out, or plugged up it is on the inside.

In these circumstances, I stand behind my original statement of light bending the tubing in graduated increments, then going back over it and bending it deeper to tighten up the radius.

Yes, it does take most of your math out of the project, but it seems to be the most reasonable way to deal with materials that may not have anything close to a uniform consistency of the New materials that you have had access to in the past.

Now, Mr fdcmiami...

I would ask you to carefully read this post and treat is as a stand alone statement. I believe that I have explained myself in adequate detail, and have sufficiently explained why I do not believe that your mathmatics based response is the "best" approach to this project as there are to many variables that you cannot calculate for.

At the very least, I would offer that we agree to disagree, and this be the end of it between us on this topic.

I bid you a Good Evening.
    Later,
    Jason

Professional Spark Generator by Trade.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by fdcmiami View Post
    i am going to scan and post some layout info
    Please do! I am very interested in seeing it!
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on my experiences in my little bitty world.

Dear Garybdavis,

What I have done with alot of different things (square pipe, round pipe, thick solid stuff) is with my chop saw I simply cut almost through the material (usually leave .25" or so) and bend it by hand. When it is in the shape you want weld and grind. Do the cuts 8" apart, bend it and if it needs more make more cuts.

I haven't got a lot of tools for the bigger stuff and this seems to work good.

I do like your idea of building something with the log splitter.

Necessity is the Mother of injury, and invention.

Post some pics of what you end up doing, I'm subscribed
    Thanks

Just a few comments.

The arithemetic is interesting.

The original post is for a corral, I suspect either a round chute leading up to a squeeze, or just a round crowding corral. Get over it, the cows don't care plus or minus 1/4".

The pic, I posted earlier, way earlier, works fine for most gradual bends. On any material. Understand, for most uses that I use this for, we are talking about some flat, then a very gradual radius, suddenly turning into a more radical radius, then back to a more gradual bend.

Similar to some gates I build, in fact, sometimes the bends go both ways. We start out, bending one way, to get the height, then flip over, and bend the other way to connect to the other side. Not rocket science; in any case, I can very likely do, with cave-man science, the job faster than the smart people finish their calculations.

Harv, I've always admired your ability to take on complicated jobs, without making the jobs more complicated than they needed to be.

To the mouthpiece, thanks for the inspiration, for my new sig line, couldn't have done it without ya' .....
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....