Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

fdcmiami, "other poster" would like to know how you would have done this
    Attached Images Attached Images

The reason I ask is because my educated friends that I go to find out why what I've made works all told me that I couldn't do the double helix with what I had at hand.

One of the problems with education that I've found is educators. It's sad that they're the ones watching the gates of formal education. Their limits are supposed to be ours. And the reason they have limits is because that's what they've always studied.

Another option, you could heat a series of ovals to make your radius. It will not be near as smooth as some of the previous ideas. Every heat zone will show, but may not matter for a corral project.

Some great ideas so far gentlemen keep them coming I am always interested in learning different ways of bending material!
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on my experiences in my little bitty world.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonora Iron View Post
    I am always interested in learning different ways of bending material!
    easy for me, I just weld it
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Hey Harv, that double helix thingy is my favorite thing you've come up with.

It took MS a couple of tries to get me the right number for you. Make sure you give him a hard for it. I'll give you a call tomorrow if you are going to be around.
    Millermatic 35
    Miller TB302G
    Ellis 1800
    Smith & Victor Torches
    Optrel Satellite
    Arcair K4000
    Ingersoll-Rand 175CFM Diesel Air Compressor
    Home Made Welding Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by garybdavis View Post
    Hey Harv, that double helix thingy is my favorite thing you've come up with.

It took MS a couple of tries to get me the right number for you. Make sure you give him a hard for it. I'll give you a call tomorrow if you are going to be around.
    That will work Gary.

The next time you're in Plano at our friend's place check out the retaining system on the Plano Paper Sack Problem Solver. That's one of my favoritest things that I've lucked onto. Mostly because it works and I got to explain to some engineers that it was all about the angle of the dangle. I was treated like a smart butt until one of them said after they'd played with it a bit, "he's right. It is all about the angle of the dangle."

Default pipe

if you would like to know how to lay out a helix; look into screw thread development. machinery's handbook is a good source. i am going to paste a link to the solution for a helix. look at it and try to think of the potential applications. this stuff has been around for a long time.

http://books.google.com/books?id=d5e...age&q=&f=false

Default pipe

in previous post i pasted a link for development of a screw thread; i just pulled up the first thing i found, i have no scanner at the moment. then i noticed a dimension is missing. to solve for c. the base line, you need the diameter of the cylinder. D. then, it's pi x dia = C. then use pythagorean theorem to solve for hypotenuse. this would be length of spiral.

fabrication procedure is up to you depending on job. i like this though i pulled it up on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8Ae27Mg740

Default pipe

yes, i am sure the were impressed with your intellectual prowess. lol

dna; christ, some of you kill me.

Quote Originally Posted by fdcmiami View Post

dna; christ, some of you kill me.
    The "DNA" design is actually to the Point in this fence since it was for a Research Campus
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus