Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Price of steel

Default Price of steel

Just talked to a local steel supplier this week, and asked about scraps/cutoffs for practice, and pricing. He said they run about $2.25/lb, and the new stuff runs around $2.75. Is this right, this seems real expensive to me, I was looking at tubing, and some angle, in the 1" range. I know from reading here that steel prices are pretty high, but that seems ridiculous. Am I off base on this one?

Default way high!

I work for a structural steel company 20 miles outside of Philadelphia, so I know prices are high here. Our wholesale cost is anywhere from .50-.65 cent per pound right now. Of course we are buying it by the truck load, but the prices you stated are crazy, even in small quantity. Also we have a scap dumpster which holds around 20,000 lbs of steel which we empty once or twice a week, we get around .15 cents a pound for that. Hopefully you can find someone near you that isn't trying to charge you full wallet for practice pieces.

Most steel yards hate when people come in asking about free or cheap scrap, especially if you are not a regular customer. Metal is money to them, none of it is scrap.

Holy Hanna! I thought that was high, but I had no idea how much.. Guys, is snackers prices about the same as what you purchase yours at? I explained that I was just getting started welding, and didn't even mention what I was looking for, just was checking the price of steel. He was the one who suggested the 'bin in the back' to try to save a couple bucks. Ouch! I think I will check with local scrap yards and see if they'll sell me some scrap, .15-.30 per pound, even if it isn't in 'like new' condition sure sounds better to me than what he quoted.

Default Material is pricey

China's demand for metal has driven the price of metal through the roof, world-wide; so you aren't being picked on.

However, like anything else, part of what determines the price you get is your relationship with the vendor. If they know you are a regular customer, then the price is more competitive. If you are a new guy, list price.

Try to use whatever leverage you can. My welding instructor recommended a metal dealer in the next town over, since the ones in my town don't give much of a discount for small puchases. I tell them I'm a student (drop my instructor's name while I'm at it) looking for some scraps for practice. The best leverage is if you are recommended by someone who purchases on a regular basis, and they tell you to ask for a specific person than knows them. I made the mistake of NOT doing this and paid too much for some scraps off of the cutting room floor (with forklift tire marks on them and scratches galore), so I won't try that approach again. The bean-counter in the front office measured the material and charged me as if it was pristine metal. However, he mistakenly thought some 1/4" stainless rod was mild steel and charged me the lower price; so I called it even.

Better yet, go with a regular customer when they go to buy metal. When my instructor goes, they tell him he can have (for FREE!) whatever he can carry from the scrap bins. Diamond plate, stainless sheet, tubular steel scraps, it's a feeding frenzy!

Holy chromemoly.....
    I can get Aluminu for 2 bucks a pound, sheet, tube, bars... thats really high for steel. Steel here is about 1.25 lb for shapes..or less... I was at the salvage yard today and I glanced at the price of steel as I have a job coming up.. I think i saw 1.27....i think. anyway 2bucks seems really high for steel..
    Will it weld? I loooove electricity!

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Precix 5x10 CNC Router12"Z
    Standard modern lathe
    Cheap Chinese mill that does the trick... sort of...
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    hammer and screwdriver (most used)
    little dog
    pooper scooper (2nd most used...)

My everyday price for small quantities of most any steel is around .56/lb.
    Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
    '06 12RC feeder
    Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
    Esab Multimaster 260
    Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Stainless at that price is good...

Who did you call to get that quote from?

Discount Steel isn't the cheapest, but they have an online store that'll quote you prices for size and shape of pretty much anything they sell. In person is cheaper and they cut you a break for paying cash.

I've been friendly to the cashiers there for a couple years now and they always knock off a few bucks depending how much I buy.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

alha, if you dont mind doing it. Take a walk the night everyone puts their trash out at the curb for pickup. You'll be amazed at the metal you can find to practice on. might be an old medicine cabinet to pie pans or cookie sheets.
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

I've got a good friend that owns a metal scrap yard. He charges me the rate they used to charge 5 years ago. I pay $ .25 per pound. His normal rate is $ .50 per pound.

I think these scrap guys are making a killing. They usually pay you pennies for scrap and sell it for much more.
    Millermatic Passport Plus
    Millermatic 200

Millermatic 350P with Python
    XMT 304 /w S-64 feeder and 12VS
    Dynasty 300 DX
    Thermal Arc 400 MST
    Victor O/A
    Premier Power Welder for my trail junk.