Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default First project

Yes it does say Canadian Forces. Spent 27 years Reg Force am now a 12 day month Reservist. The platforms are made of Cabinet grade veneer plywood. Since I do a lot of woodworking as well I had these pieces lying around that were cheaper than buying flat plat for the platforms. As long as I don't weld to close to the stand the sparks should not cause a problem

HHM
    Harold Mulder

Millermatic 211 MVP
    HTP Invertig 201 with water cooler

Quote Originally Posted by haroldmulder View Post
    Yes it does say Canadian Forces. Spent 27 years Reg Force am now a 12 day month Reservist. The platforms are made of Cabinet grade veneer plywood. Since I do a lot of woodworking as well I had these pieces lying around that were cheaper than buying flat plat for the platforms. As long as I don't weld to close to the stand the sparks should not cause a problem

HHM
    Harold,
    That is a very nice cart. You asked for suggestions so here is one. Why not put some thin sheet metal over the wood? It would not be expensive and might prevent a fire.
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Harold,
    That is a very nice cart. You asked for suggestions so here is one. Why not put some thin sheet metal over the wood? It would not be expensive and might prevent a fire.
    Nick
    Harold -- Nice cart. Looks well made.

With regards to fire, I'd worry more about the wood dust in the
    shop. Look at the last picture in Harold's original post; there's
    plenty of saw dust around what looks to be a very nice table saw.

I generally suggest to folks who do woodworking and want to
    add metal fab & welding that they do their metal work in another
    area (such as a garage). The fire risk is one reason. Another
    is that grinding, etc, of metal creates a lot of very abrasive
    grit that would get everywhere and absolutely demolish
    unprotected tools/mechanisms and edges of planes, chisels, etc).

Frank

Default First project

Thanks for the points. I thought about coating the wood with a thin veneer of metal and may still do that down the road. However I will need to find a cheap material since when I was in some of the box stores the price of thin gauge metal was outrageous. As to the sawdust I know what you mean I actually have two fire extinguishers mounted on the wall of this 22 by 22ft garage just in case. I was in such a hurry to build my first project after buying the 211 that I couldn't wait to carefully clean out the shop. Before the next project though I will be cleaning it and I also plan to build some 5to6ft high shielding panels so that when the weather warms up I can also work outside on the driveway.
    Harold Mulder

Millermatic 211 MVP

looks good and keep up your good work

Quote Originally Posted by haroldmulder View Post
    Thanks for the points. I thought about coating the wood with a thin veneer of metal and may still do that down the road. However I will need to find a cheap material since when I was in some of the box stores the price of thin gauge metal was outrageous. ...
    Man, just go to your local autobody repair shop. grab an old car hood or trunk out of his dumpster. cut/grind off the braces,. and you have a great source of sheet metal, free. Great stuff to practice with also.

Default First project

Might just try that especially since my 6month old F150 is going into the body shop to be repaired after I was rear ended visiting my Grandmother a month ago. Since they are replacing a side panel on the box I should have plenty of practice material out of that. Any way thanks for the idea.
    All the best.
    Harold Mulder

Millermatic 211 MVP