Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default tig welding copper

Does anybody care to share any wisdom on tigging copper?
    I have tried several times and I just cant seem to get a clean, un porous water proof bead.
    I haven't actually found any filler rod at my local weld supplies , but I have been stripping copper wire for filler rod.
    I have found that a high temp. to start out then lowering it once the plasma starts to flow seems to help.
    I am not back gassing.
    Help me out here?

You failed to mention what current you're trying to use, tungsten type/size, thickness of base metal nor shielding gas.

I can tell you what works best for me. DC straight polarity, 2% thoriated tungsten and helium shielding gas. I haven't had to back shield anything yet but haven't welded copper pipe yet either. I've had success using scraps of copper wire as filler but prefer to use slivers of the base material if possible. Using the base material is especially necessary when you get into welding the copper/nickel alloys.
    Blondie (Owner C & S Automotive)

Colt the original point & click interface!

Millermatic 35 with spot panel
    Miller 340A/BP
    Victor O/A torches
    Lincoln SP125
    Too many other tools to list

03 Ram 1500
    78 GS1000
    82 GL1100 Interstate

Thanks Blondie.
    Yeah I forgot to say I am using 1/16" 2% thoriated tungstun with 100% argon. DC - at about 1oo amps to start out.
    The base thickness are variable because I am just playing with scrap peices and pipe fittings too.
    I eventually want to make a small holding tank and a fountain or water feature.
    I will try slivers for filler.

Default Copper Welding

Tig welding copper requires more heat than SS.

The copper transfers heat almost like aluminum.

You haven't given much detail on what you are welding but in general turn your heat up about 20 0 30 amps higher than you would for SS. Definitely use a back purge. Copper needs to be really clean. The puddle is sluggish and doesn't like to flow.

You should be able to source Copper Nickel or Nickel Copper rod from any decent welding supplier - Ask for UTP brand.

Actually copper is quite a bit better heat conductor than aluminum. Here are some numbers (I'm not sure exactly what the units mean) for comparison:
    Steel: 43 W/mK
    Alum: 250 W/mK
    Copper: 401 W/mK

on pure copper your best to order some de-oxidized copper filler rod this should eliminate your porosity issues.
    Miller syncrowave 200 runner with coolmate 4
    and wp2025 weldcraft torch
    Miller 125c plasma cutter

Default tig welding copper

when welding thicker pieces ,i always preheat,weld ac hi-freq. w/ straight helium, or helium/argon mix w/ balled tungsten.

The fumes given off from copper welding are worse than a lot of other materials, be extra careful...
    "If you build it, they will come!"

Quote Originally Posted by jrscgsr View Post
    on pure copper your best to order some de-oxidized copper filler rod this should eliminate your porosity issues.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...rary/tig.html#
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

Thumbs up Thanks for the replies

Thanks guys.
    Sorry for the delay in my reply.
    that info was exactly what I was looking for.
    De oxydized copper filler rods.
    I had a discussion with my local weld supply rep today about a silicon bronze rod and he was going to send me a test sample to try but I will call him back tomorrow about the de ox rod.