Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums
 
Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    581

    Default D 52D With Stainless Wrapper

    I just had a guy here in town do some stainless sheet metal for a couple feeders I have. The S 52D is sold, I still have the D 52D.

    It is for sale, but I'm not making a practice of hawking stuff here. I got stuck with it after a local sale fell thru. It's completely refurbed, new clutch & drive bearings. I did not replace the knobs, they were OK.

    The fitup isn't perfect, still a little crowning, but it's getting better with every piece. We're gonna do some Maxtron 450 skins when I get some more in. Waiting on a guy in Canada that has 40 of them.

    Only a matter of time.......
    Attached Images Attached Images
    So you're telling me...You're not nostalgic? Then, give me another word for it......

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    sarasota,florida
    Posts
    23

    Default

    7A749, Them sure are pretty units. I know the one I got from you works great. It's like a brand new machine and the deal you give me was WOW!
    Thanks for everything, Darrell

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Shelton CT
    Posts
    179

    Default

    if you can make some stainless for my 05 bobcat 250, you'll have another customer.
    F450 crewcab flatbed
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Miller 8VS suitcase
    Millermatic 251
    Millermatic 180
    Miller Spectrum 375
    Miller Econotig & 150 STH
    Enough snap-on tools to prevent my future kids from going to college

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    581

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HawkerMetalworks View Post
    if you can make some stainless for my 05 bobcat 250, you'll have another customer.
    Hi. I wish I could, but the guy doing these for me just has basic equipment. The parts on that Bobcat are probably hit in a press & the top radius on the cover is tricky without the right die to do it in a single shot.

    The side covers with the lip & latch are a definite press job. We took a look at my S'Wave 250 DX & the side covers were just way too complicated without specialized equipment.

    I'm trying just the real simple stuff for now. I should say he is.

    We're looking at doing some Maxtron 450 inverter skins when I get a few more of them in. On a lot of Miller stuff, the heavy radiused covers just can't be done in a conventional press brake without a die specifically made for it.

    I may end up doing some prototype die stuff in the future & try it out on his machine.

    Sorry I can't help!
    So you're telling me...You're not nostalgic? Then, give me another word for it......

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Mpls, MN
    Posts
    464

    Default

    This got me thinking about modding my dynasty. I think miller used stainless or aluminum for the shell, I know a car door magnet will not stick to it.

    -Dan
    Owner
    DW Metalworks LLC
    Miller Trailblazer 302
    Miller 8RC Feeder
    Miller Passport Plus
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX W/Coolmate 1
    Hobart Handler 135
    Hypertherm PowerMAX 30
    Smith O/A Torch Set
    Plus more tools then my wife will ever know about....

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Oswego IL
    Posts
    654

    Default Maxtron 450...

    Quote Originally Posted by 7A749 View Post
    Hi. I wish I could, but the guy doing these for me just has basic equipment. The parts on that Bobcat are probably hit in a press & the top radius on the cover is tricky without the right die to do it in a single shot.

    The side covers with the lip & latch are a definite press job. We took a look at my S'Wave 250 DX & the side covers were just way too complicated without specialized equipment.

    I'm trying just the real simple stuff for now. I should say he is.

    We're looking at doing some Maxtron 450 inverter skins when I get a few more of them in. On a lot of Miller stuff, the heavy radiused covers just can't be done in a conventional press brake without a die specifically made for it.

    I may end up doing some prototype die stuff in the future & try it out on his machine.

    Sorry I can't help!
    Would u be able to get the faceplates for the maxtron 450, basically the front of the machine, mine had a can of black paint sprayed on the front of it when I bought it 10-11 years ago. I would be interested in the SS cover also.
    Kevin
    XMT 304
    Miller Spectrum 625
    Miller 30a spool gun
    S22a
    Miller Legend 302
    Lincoln LN25
    Ford f450 Maintainer Srv Truck

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    581

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tryagn5 View Post
    Would u be able to get the faceplates for the maxtron 450, basically the front of the machine, mine had a can of black paint sprayed on the front of it when I bought it 10-11 years ago. I would be interested in the SS cover also.
    Kevin
    I would only be able to get a vinyl repop of it. The originals are impossible to find. A parts machine may yield a good one, but that's a 50/50 chance. I do have 3 parts machines with pretty good faces. I could take one off if you were interested. You may try very gently hitting it with some lacquer thinner and a rag & seeing if the spray paint comes off.

    Lacquer thinner does clean them up sometimes, but you gotta be so VERY careful. Those faces are pretty tough, just don't go crazy. I have done several that came in with paint marker or sticker residue all over the face & they came out good. You could give it a try on a small area & see how it goes.

    I'll PM you when the stainless comes up. I'm waiting for more machines. Hopefully soon.
    So you're telling me...You're not nostalgic? Then, give me another word for it......

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    581

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by engnerdan View Post
    This got me thinking about modding my dynasty. I think miller used stainless or aluminum for the shell, I know a car door magnet will not stick to it.

    -Dan
    It's aluminum, I'm pretty sure on it.

    The problem with poping cases like your Dynasty is without the dies to do the radii on the top, it will look horrible.

    You would almost have to custom make dies just to do that sheet metal.
    So you're telling me...You're not nostalgic? Then, give me another word for it......

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Mpls, MN
    Posts
    464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 7A749 View Post
    It's aluminum, I'm pretty sure on it.

    The problem with poping cases like your Dynasty is without the dies to do the radii on the top, it will look horrible.

    You would almost have to custom make dies just to do that sheet metal.
    I know what you mean about the custom dies, with the aluminum underneath if there was a easy way to remove the powder coat it would be easy to grain or polish up the aluminum and have something unique.

    -Dan
    Owner
    DW Metalworks LLC
    Miller Trailblazer 302
    Miller 8RC Feeder
    Miller Passport Plus
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX W/Coolmate 1
    Hobart Handler 135
    Hypertherm PowerMAX 30
    Smith O/A Torch Set
    Plus more tools then my wife will ever know about....

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    581

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by engnerdan View Post
    I know what you mean about the custom dies, with the aluminum underneath if there was a easy way to remove the powder coat it would be easy to grain or polish up the aluminum and have something unique.

    -Dan
    Yeah. I wouldn't do it myself unless you hade a sure fire way to get the power coat off. It would probably tear it up. If you did get it down to bear metal, you would want to clear coat it to prevent oxidization.
    So you're telling me...You're not nostalgic? Then, give me another word for it......

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/footer.inc.php on line 82

Welding Projects

Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.