Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Maybe because my variety of welding is larger but I actually thought it was smaller all this time compared to what everyone else does. I weld in a municipal garage so I could be welding on a police car one day with a 6013 or welding 1 inch plate on a 544 loader the next day using a 7024.

I have welded most thicknesses and used many rods. I do not have a preference on any, each one serves its own purpose.
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

Ken,
    Have you noticed any difference between the various manufacturers ? Say between a Hobart made rod and a Lincoln or whatever.
    If I had know I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

Quote Originally Posted by 6010 View Post
    Ken,
    Have you noticed any difference between the various manufacturers ? Say between a Hobart made rod and a Lincoln or whatever.
    I really haven't but I will only buy at a supply house, not Lowes or Sears. There was a place up the street that used to sell rods loose, I just forget what they were but I bought a few one time because I couldn't find them anywhere else. I found a little moisture setting in so I stopped going there, now I just buy them by the box.
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

I got a set of Miller weld calculators gives me the starting points for most rods a lot quicker then draging out the book. got one for MIG & TIG also.

I have done considerable code work and 6011 is just as acceptable as 6010. All code jobs and shops have to have a written, tested, and certified procedure. This procedure cannot be deviated from or it becomes invalid. This means you have to use the same electrodes used in the certified procedure.

6011 doesn't seem to suffer from arc blow as bad as 6010. Magnetism will cause arc blow, but I have burned tons of this stuff on brand new steel at well below 250 amps and still had to fight it. The easiest way to deal with magnetism is switch to ac. If that option is unavailable try switching polarity, or wrapping the ground lead around the work piece. It can neutralize the magnetism (and switching polarity may be required) because it turns it into an electro-magnet.

6011 works better on the thin stuff because it doesn't dig quite as hard as 6010. It isn't quite as brittle as 6010 either in my experience. I primarily use 7018 in what I do because it is an all position rod and is second only to 7024 in elasticity. Anything that vibrates needs to be welded with 7018 or 7024 (preferred because it has the highest elasticity coefficient and resistance to vibration). I am trying out FCAW on the lighter stuff to see how well it holds up versus 60XX. I have already determined it is faster and cheaper.

I buy 7018 rods in this order: Lincoln Excalibur, Harris, LH-70, McKay, anything else, then Hobart, Atom Arc and I refuse to weld if all I can get is UniBraze. In 6010 it's Lincoln 5P+, then 5P. I'm not sure anyone else can even manufacture 6010 as I have never seen any that wasn't Lincoln. As for 6011 I really have no preference. In 7024 I use Lincoln Jet, any type.

I keep 7018 and 6011 in 3/32, 1/8 & 5/32. 6010 in 1/8, and 7024 in 1/8 and 5/32. I also have some 1/8 Ni-rod for cast. Not my preference but it was all I could get at the time. The best thing I have found for cast so far is AllState Cor-Cast 8600 flux cored mig wire (supposed to run 98%Ar - 2% O2 gas shield), but I have had good luck using it joining cast iron to steel and repairing 100+ year old castings with pre and post heat without the gas. Ni-rod is about 8 bucks a pound and corcast is about 35 per pound. I don't know what the foulup was but I got the spool of corcast for 8 a pound.

I use Lincoln wires in 10-12 lb spools because I get the best price on them and they give excellent results. I have burned tons of ESAB copper clad wire in the Mig and never had any problems. I'm fixing to be able to use 30 lb spools and then it will mostly depend on what I can get.

That's my 25 cents worth.
    Lincoln: Eagle 10,000, Weld-Pak HD, Weld-Pak 155, AC-225, LN-25 wirefeeder
    Miller: Syncrowave 250DX Tigrunner
    Westinghouse: 400+ amp AC
    ThermalArc Handy wirefeeder
    1 Harris, 3 Victor O/A rigs
    Arcair gouger
    Too many other power toys to list.

Do it right, do it once. And in all things ya get what ya pay for.