Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

You can make money in handrails and other ornamental and decorative ironwork, but get ready to have the squirrels fall out of the trees. I do them but don't count on them for anything nor do I really consider them profitable. I have yet to sell anyone on aluminum or stainless once they find out both cost considerably more than steel. I let my partner handle the rails. If they can handle the cost I do the artsy stuff, but it is never cheap. Surprisingly in the last year I have had maybe 10 calls for aluminum (none handrails) and zero for stainless and I live in New Orleans, lol.

I don't build trailers. I just modify them, and repair them. There is no way that I can compete with the manufacturers. I would sell decorative steel security doors, but even my supplier can't compete with the cheap crap from China that Lowes and Home Depot sell, and that is mostly all anyone around here wants. I don't mess with the iron fencing anymore. I just fix the messes these guys who don't use levels and squares make. Incidentally, they mostly don't speak english either.

Learn all of the processes on all materials, and get good at them. Putting all of your eggs in one basket is always a bad idea. I know how to Tig aluminum as well as stainless, steel, cast iron, copper, titanium, monel, inconel, get the picture, and mostly never even get approached for them. Learn to use a Mig, yes it works well on aluminum and is much faster than Tig. Speed makes the customer happy. The faster you can do it the cheaper you can do it.

Learn to use sticks. Simply because there are many many things that Tig is not well suited for, and the same goes for Mig. If you plan on making welding a career the more versatile you are the better off you are.

Give the customer excellent work and they will always use you, and most will wait until you can get to them. I have 6 weeks of work lined up right now from one customer, simply because of the quality of work I give and knowing more about what I do than anyone around.
    Lincoln: Eagle 10,000, Weld-Pak HD, Weld-Pak 155, AC-225, LN-25 wirefeeder
    Miller: Syncrowave 250DX Tigrunner
    Westinghouse: 400+ amp AC
    ThermalArc Handy wirefeeder
    1 Harris, 3 Victor O/A rigs
    Arcair gouger
    Too many other power toys to list.

Do it right, do it once. And in all things ya get what ya pay for.

Cool

I think it's cool you want to start your own business doing aluminum.

Word of warning. Doing alum repair is a far cry from doing new welding with nice shiny new aluminum. People will bring you the dirtiest, greasiest garbage you can imagine. Old transmissions. boat skegs etc. If you have never worked with this stuff you will be in for a big surprise. It takes a long time to learn how to repair these things properly. Which rod to use for cast versus billett. Which technique. What gas if tigging. Dirt is your enemy, especially with aluminum.

I am not trying to discourage you, go for it as I did. Just make sure you can do what you say!

Good Luck

Default need more projects

I have listed on craigslist, put a sign in my yard and I have stopped by trailer shops and other businesses soliciting my welding services. I have left my cards at these places in card holders but I just can't seem to get more traffic.

Any Ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by surf rider View Post
    I have listed on craigslist, put a sign in my yard and I have stopped by trailer shops and other businesses soliciting my welding services. I have left my cards at these places in card holders but I just can't seem to get more traffic.

Any Ideas?
    If it was mentioned I missed it, The best thing you can do for free is list a google add. You can't add a whole lot there but you can do some for free.

Most of my calls come from google. Yes , you'll be right in there with rest of the welders, list all your keywords so search engines will pick you out.