Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I understand you must be pretty good already at tig aluminum.
    I have done nothing but tig aluminum for 11 seasons straight. I would call myself what ever name you choose and include aluminum welding in my name...ie...Joe's aluminum welding. Then if you get a biz phone when you get simply listed in the yellow pages you will get the majority of the first calls. I did it and didn't realize it would work out that way. I used to get fancy ads but with this biz I stumbled into this great knowledge...everyday it seems I get a new customer just from the phone book.

I have a Bobcat welder but I now have a Dynasty 200dx and if I was to choose only one it would be the Dynasty. Times are a changing. By sticking to tig aluminum I get a bunch of work from other welding shops/mfgs that I would otherwise compete with plus I get warranty field work from aluminum mfgs. If you spend your hard earned money on a engine drive make sure it will run a newer inverter if you wish to weld aluminum mobile. The inverter will go indoors and weld in places you would have to string leads otherwise.

Everybody knows me because I drive a junk truck hauling TOP-NOTCH welding equipment and I get all the good jobs from the guys who drive newer trucks hauling old junk wore out underpowered welders.

I also stay at the top of my game by sticking to aluminum. HTH

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Default railings

If your going to get into railings check out some of the decorative iron catalogues. I recomend making a product out of aluminum or stainless steel instead of doing metal railings(unless they're fancy fancy). everybody and their dog is welding steel. With aluminum and stainless you can do custom one-off pieces and charge more. If you're planing on going into business making custom rails, than thats a different story. hope this has helped.

Dustyhaze75
    Last edited by Dustyhaze75; 01-21-2008 at 05:22 AM.
    Syncro250DX Tigrunner
    Victor set
    Elite auto-helmet
    Dewalt Bench grinder
    Mastercraft miter saw
    Mac air tools
    Mac hand tools
    Toothbrush
    pencil
    toilet paper

I Live in Ensenada Baja California, around 75 miles south of the border with San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by welder_one View Post
    i would suggest looking to a landscaper or residential construction firm. talk to them and get your name known. might even have to take a hit or 2 (freebie stuff) to let them see your work. i make more on the side than i do at my full time job building handrails, gates, fences, and the likes. my wife wont let me step out on my own full time, the pay is to sporadic for her likes... and you all know how the saying goes "when momma aint happy, aint nobody happy. when daddy aint happy, nobody cares"
    TELL ME ABOU IT!!!!! When my wife aint happy nobody in the whole state is, she will make sure of it....
    A C T I O N ! ! !

My bad .........
    Syncro250DX Tigrunner
    Victor set
    Elite auto-helmet
    Dewalt Bench grinder
    Mastercraft miter saw
    Mac air tools
    Mac hand tools
    Toothbrush
    pencil
    toilet paper

Quote Originally Posted by Dustyhaze75 View Post
    My bad .........
    ? did i miss something?
    welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
    www.sicfabrications.com

I have been doing small jobs, here and there, but I have been told to buy some type of insurance to cover a fire or any general mishap. What is general thoughts on this.....gear

Cool insurance

Hey gearhead, just thought I would send you my thoughts on the issue here.

I have done alot of work for people on the side and professionally within the feild and have yet (knock on wood) nobody has asked if I had insurance, and the only thing I do have insurance is on my equipment and vehicle's.

I might add if you do it's really not that much, if you find a good agency.

I have been doing this for 15-20yr's now so thats my opion take it for what you feel like.

Smile more info-extra money welding

If you have a Walmart or Mejier around were you live just ask them who they have to fix the aluminum carts they use in the store and you will be suprised they have to ship them out to be fix so if they can have them done local and no chareg for return shippment it might give you the chance to show your work and a quick turn around also,just a thought for you to think about.

I do agree with the other guys if you can promote yoour welding skills in the aluminum area go for it as much as you can becuase you'll find not many welder's can weld alum and be very good at it esp tig welding they just don't have the time or patience to do the job. I'M NOT TRYING TO SOUND LIKE ALL WELDOR'S ARE BAD AND DON'T KHOW HOW TO DO THE JOB BUT THERE ARE SOME REALLY BAD WELDOR'S WHO SAY THEY CAN WELD AND CAN'T, NO OFFENCE TO THE GOO ONE'S.

I am not even "one of the good ones" and I am not offended. I know what you are saying.
    Tim Beeker,
    T-N-J Industries
    (my side bussiness)

Miller Synchrowave 350LX with tigrunner
    Esab 450i with wire feeder
    HH135 mig
    Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 51 plasma cutter
    Miller aircrafter 330 - sold
    Marathon 315mm coldsaw
    vertical and horizontal band saws
    table saw
    Dewalt cut off saw
    Sand blast cabinet
    lots of hand grinders
    Harris torch
    beer fridge

Default Extra Money

I started welding in 2000 for extra money. I started welding for the landscape, lawn care and irrigation industry. They destroy a lot of trailers and equiptment. Then i joined the Louisiana Craft Guild and started buliding sofa tables, crosses and an assortment of other crafts. I started attending Craft shows (not flea markets no money their). That lead to custom trellises, arbors, gate and small fences. At this point it is a 15000.00 a year side JOB!!! At times it is to much, but the money is good.