Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How do I best cap square steel tuning?

I have some 1.25" x 1.25" x .095 square steel tubing that may need some ends capped and want to know the smart way to do it. I read somewhere about "tabs" but haven't got a clue what those look like... a picture's worth a thousand words.

Obviously I could grind and fit them to the inside of the tube or have them on the outside but there's gotta be some tricks to it.

Thanks for the help.

When I need to cap square tube, like fence posted or table ends, I use flat stock that is the same size of the tube and Cut if to fit, weld, then grind to look good. Works well, cheap and easy. So you are using 1.25 square tube, I would get 1.25 flat bar and cut it square. Easy flat caps. Hope this helps

Ok, why do you want to cap the tubing? So it looks nicer? If not to seal but to dress it up, you can get the plastic plugs you tap in. King supply in Texas sells them
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

I do it similar to dozer7078 but I don't cut them square first. I use a length, weld or tack up 3 of the sides, then take an angle grinder with a cutoff blade, cut it off to fit and then weld the fourth side. I find this is easier cause I have something to hold onto while I'm getting it tacked in place with the right alignment.

I have also used the tap in plastic caps that monte mentioned. You can get some sizes at Home Depot but they are WAY less expensive from King.

Bob

Cool

I wouldn't cut the caps the same size of the tube make them a tad smaller so when you grind them smooth you will still have some weld holding the cap to the tube. Just my thoughts...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Thank you and sorry I posted then tuned out. I got my log splitter on wheels, finally.

The capping is for prettiness, safety sake and to seal out water. It's a log splitter and I pay more attention to where my hands are than where my legs are. The legs tend to run into stuff and I HATE getting cut on my own work!

As it turns out I may be able to cap them AND add some strength to the highest load bearing joints. The splitter, power pack is separate, probably weighs 450lbs.

IMG_2922.jpg

IMG_2927.jpg

IMG_2929.jpg

IMG_2930.jpg

This thread is part of this thread... http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...lp-w-fix-ideas
    Last edited by PortlandGuy; 03-20-2012 at 06:55 PM.

For the way you have it built I might be inclined to grind down or cut off the horizontal supports to match the angle of the legs and then cut a piece of Flat stock the width of both legs and cover/cap both holes at once- may provide some extra support, dunno really. Flat stock is relatively cheap.

Same idea for the Top holes on the Legs.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Default it's done

Besides paint for the cart, it's done, finally. What an effort this one was.

I ended up with a working height of 30" (man height versus midget height) and the front end will drop to the ground for those nasty pieces of 30" plus dia. oak and other wet heavy wood that'll break a back. I didn't want to engineer a vertical standing machine when a 'stooping' machine will do the same work for much less effort.

You guys sure helped me tremendously and I am grateful.

Log Splitter, one IMG_2938.jpg

Log Splitter, two IMG_2934.jpg

Log Splitter, three IMG_2935.jpg

Log Splitter, four IMG_2936.jpg

Log Splitter, five IMG_2937.jpg
    Last edited by PortlandGuy; 03-21-2012 at 01:53 PM.

Generally when I cap square tubing in an application such as this, I cut the cap to fit inside the tube then fuse a bead with TIG around the perimeter of the tube and lightly sand it prior to painting. I'm not saying my way is any more right than the advice the others gave you, it's just different.

The one thing though that I would have done is where the bolts go through the square tubing I would have made a sleeve to go through the tubing where the bolt is going to be and TIG welded it on each side of the tubing so when you tighten the bolts you don't crush the tubing.
    Blondie (Owner C & S Automotive)

Colt the original point & click interface!

Millermatic 35 with spot panel
    Miller 340A/BP
    Victor O/A torches
    Lincoln SP125
    Too many other tools to list

03 Ram 1500
    78 GS1000
    82 GL1100 Interstate

Sleeves inside the square tubing is a great idea. The squishing power of those bolts was bothering me

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie_486 View Post
    Generally when I cap square tubing in an application such as this, I cut the cap to fit inside the tube then fuse a bead with TIG around the perimeter of the tube and lightly sand it prior to painting. I'm not saying my way is any more right than the advice the others gave you, it's just different.

The one thing though that I would have done is where the bolts go through the square tubing I would have made a sleeve to go through the tubing where the bolt is going to be and TIG welded it on each side of the tubing so when you tighten the bolts you don't crush the tubing.