Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

The miller tables are good for what they are built for. they are intended for welding on not beating.

Quote Originally Posted by m.k.swelding View Post
    The miller tables are good for what they are built for. they are intended for welding on not beating.
    You are right they are a welding tables but the type of work I do I need to use a hammer at times. Sometimes I weld jigging to it and just remove & grind it smooth again so many uses. As I said in before my table is the most used tool in the shop.
    I have nothing against the Miller's table I would not spend that kind of money for one. You’re paying for blue paint and a name. I know mine can take whatever it needs to do for me.
    The square tube grid sounds like it is a cool ides also. Any table is better than working off of the floor.
    Rick C

Default A Positive Comment...

I know I'm going to get flamed on this reply but there are many of us who spend too much money on tools just because they are Snap On, Mac, Matco, Cornwell instead of saving some money and instead buying a Craftsman / Husky / or Kobalt that we could more than get by with!

I know many people consider a welding table as a personal project to design and fabricate on their own and show their own skills, but I am one of those who also like to be brand loyal as much as possible and found some of the design and features of the ArcStation, (especially the X-top clamp system!), and some of the other aspects a very nice system!

I was looking at the full 60" system and knew I would have to budget this as part of my shop renovation for 2010 and beyond. Buying this system would probably cost me more but it would also save me time! This is a factor for many people and why we pay people to mow our lawns and detail our cars!

So for me, I liked it and it saved me the time of coming up with a design, (that I've revised at least 20-25 times over the last year!), I saved time chasing down the materials, and I've saved time building an detailing the finished product.

At this point, I should state that I actually won one of the 30" X-table systems from the '09 SEMA drawing. Like many people, I entered but never thought I would win. Since I was actually interested in this system it became a Christmas present for me and a jump start to help me with getting the revised shop layout going!

I'm sure down the road, as I use the ArcStation more, I will end up modifying, adding or revising some aspects to my personal taste and needs. But for my needs, I do not see this being far from what my last design ideas were and I am very thankful to Andy and Nicole from Miller Electric for giving me the opportunity to win something I truly wanted!

Thank you Andy and Nicole!

Can someone who has an Arcstation tell me the dimensions of the slots? I am building a table and want to use the Miller xclamps, but need to know the width of the slot as well as the size of the hole in the end to feed the clamp through. I am getting the top cut so need the dimensions, and the local miller distributer will take a week to get the clamps in so I can't measure them..

thanks
    Matt

Default table

What do you guys think of this as a welding table?
    http://s1012.photobucket.com/albums/...hoto-59.jpg%26

Quote Originally Posted by bzoerb View Post
    What do you guys think of this as a welding table?
    http://s1012.photobucket.com/albums/...hoto-59.jpg%26
    Nice work bench. Welding table? No.

I've got one welding table that's 1 1/2 inches thick and two feet by four feet. With the ribbing and legs it's over eight hundred pounds. When it's needed it's the greatest.

I also have another welding table that's only two feet high. Three quarter inch plate two foot in diameter. It's attached to a rear end stub. The base is the semi truck wheel and the brake drum supports the table top. It's the cat's meow when I"m needing to make something and be able to turn it while working.

I have a piece of floor rack that's attached to another semi truck wheel and axle stub. It's the greatest thing for using the plasma or cutting torch when you're wanting to move the material instead of walking around it.

I also have another welding table with wheels on one end so I can move it around without grabbing the tractor.

I'm excited about getting my new arcstation early next week. I used one in the Miller Welding Show Down and fell in love with it. It's not the end all table that you can do anything with anytime. But for the majority of our work if you to a wide spectrum of work the arcstation is as handy as a pocket on a shirt.

It's a great tool for the average guy who has some welding equipment in his garage and likes to make things on occasion. I recommend it for anyone looking for something like this and dealing with space and time.

One of the things I talked to Miller about on the arcstation was making a version for the portable welding rig. My number one welding table is my welding truck bed. I can see setting up an arcstation where I can set it up on the truck for the kinds of work where I need to hold and or brace somethings will I'm working on them.

I've used one and loved it. http://www.millerwelds.com/showdown/finalists/

Quote Originally Posted by John Stuckey View Post
    You might consider using 1 1/2" square steel tubing and building a grid type table. I made a 4' X 4' table with about 5" square holes. C clamps fit nicely thru the holes. This type of table is lighter than solid top units and can be stored upright if necessary.
    This is similar to an idea i've got for a table except I thought of using 3/8" x 3" flat bar with spaces in between for the top.

Quote Originally Posted by mkehler View Post
    Can someone who has an Arcstation tell me the dimensions of the slots? I am building a table and want to use the Miller xclamps, but need to know the width of the slot as well as the size of the hole in the end to feed the clamp through. I am getting the top cut so need the dimensions, and the local miller distributer will take a week to get the clamps in so I can't measure them..

thanks
    Matt
    Here are the slot dimensions... The hole in the end is 1.25" wide and 1.5" long. The slots are 0.75" wide.

The X slots and the clamps that go with them have been very handy. The arc station has been a good, sturdy table. I chose a Miller welding machine because they have a good reputation and their machines are made in the USA. When I received the arc station, it came in boxes that said "Made in China." I wish that I had known that before I bought the table. I saw a program on TV the other day about the horrible working conditions in China. I think it is worthwhile to try as hard as possible to buy products made in the USA.

I have one with the 60" top, tool box and side shelf. I love it! Welding is only a small hobby of mine. I don't have much free time and I did not want to spend it making a table. So with my son's help we put this together in 2 hours and away we go.