Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default another idea

What about a pantograph. You could modify a router pantograph to hold the torch and the template could be just a drawing. A pantograph would also let you change the size of the part being cut using the same template. It would be easier than holding a torch against a template in my opinion. You could make one also. If you're not sure how to make one, you could get a drawing pantograph on e bay cheap and duplicate it in a larger scale out of metal.
    Last edited by monte55; 12-15-2009 at 11:12 AM. Reason: added text
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

nocheepgas,

I have used thin pieces (1/4" ) of graphite plate I got on ebay.

They cost me about $18 a sq ft but for doing hundreds of pieces, I found this stuff well worth it. But for just a few pieces, alum or steel is fine.

I tried to cut it with my plasma cutter but even at 60 amps, the edges of the graphite just got red but didn't cut.

Might be overkill for your application but it made my job easy.

A big concern is cutting the graphite to make the template but I used my drill press with a milling but and a milling vise to cut the shapes.

Had fun with some friends by having them trying to cut the graphite after they cut alum and steel sheet.
    Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, Miller Dynasty 350, Hypertherm 1000, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, etc.:

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt hands View Post
    nocheepgas,

I have used thin pieces (1/4" ) of graphite plate I got on ebay.

They cost me about $18 a sq ft but for doing hundreds of pieces, I found this stuff well worth it. But for just a few pieces, alum or steel is fine.

I tried to cut it with my plasma cutter but even at 60 amps, the edges of the graphite just got red but didn't cut.

Might be overkill for your application but it made my job easy.

A big concern is cutting the graphite to make the template but I used my drill press with a milling but and a milling vise to cut the shapes.

Had fun with some friends by having them trying to cut the graphite after they cut alum and steel sheet.
    Sounds like that might be worth a try, Thanks!
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..