Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Work Bench/Work Surface

Vernon had posted that he wanted to see more pics of this shop bench that I put in my garage. This was my entry in the most recent miller sponsored contest. The frame is 3x3 angle, with 1/8" expanded metal shelf. The wood surface is 10x10x1.5's cut down to size. I put the wood lip on the back to keep things from falling behind. The Diamond Plate power strip was from Home Depot, and of course I had to add the bench vise. I've been real happy- I built it to exact size to maximize the space in that area of my garage. I used a DC Thunderbolt from the 80s for the welding. I was happy with the overall project.

Default Work Bench/Work

Hey RL Robertson,
    Looks real nice Makes live better when you can work on a bench and not the floor. I'm sure you will get your money back from this bench Worth ever penny. Vernon

Looks nice. Are there perpendicular supports under the planking? If not, is there any sagging (with heavy weight on the table) with the center 2"x10", relative to the ones flanking it?

There is one support that goes across between the inside legs of the shelf underneath the wood surface. The table is a little over 7 ft wide (2x10's were cut down to size), so the wood only spans a little over 3 feet on each side without reinforcement. I have not had any sagging, but also have not had anything exceptionally heavy on it. Guess I'll see how it will hold up over time.

Quote Originally Posted by rl.robertson View Post
    There is one support that goes across between the inside legs of the shelf underneath the wood surface. The table is a little over 7 ft wide (2x10's were cut down to size), so the wood only spans a little over 3 feet on each side without reinforcement. I have not had any sagging, but also have not had anything exceptionally heavy on it. Guess I'll see how it will hold up over time.
    I have a similar workbench, made of wood. Top is 2x6 (8?)
    laid on the flat, with one cross member. I built it something
    like 20 years ago and works fine. For the stuff I do (home
    handyman/projects/etc) it's solid.

One thing I did was to lay a sheet of masonite on the top,
    just to have a smoother surface. It's a good addition.

Frank

Ya a wooden bench is nice but hard to tack weld to.

Quote Originally Posted by m.k.swelding View Post
    but you can tack to it

(... sorry, i just had to say it. i'll try and control myself next time)

frank

Quote Originally Posted by m.k.swelding View Post
    absolutely- I plan on making a nice welding table on casters when I get the extra cash. I've been browsing the forums for ideas. I'm still welding on the floor. I don't use this one for any welding type projects, but more of the handyman type repairs.