Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: s22a mig welder

Smile s22a mig welder

recently got a s22a mig welder from uncle estate how do i hook this up to my 225 bobcat machine?

"The only source of knowledge is experience." Albert Einstein

The 22A is a remote-control wire feeder. Your Bobcat does not have remote-control capability. You will need a WC115A weld controller, with optional Contactor Kit, to run any 24vdc remote control wire feeder or spool gun from your Bobcat. The WC115A with contactor cost about $1000.

You would be better off to either buy a used volt-sensing portable wire feeder, such as a Lincoln LN25 or Hobart Hefty or Miller Suitcase VS to run from your Bobcat, or buy a seperate stand-alone portable mig welder, such as a Millermatic 140/180/211/Passport and use your Bobcat's 110v or 220v generator output to power the Millermatic.
    Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
    Millermatic175
    MillermaticPassport/Q300
    HTP MIG200
    PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
    ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
    DialarcHF, Radiator-1
    Hypertherm PowerMax 380
    Purox oxy/ace
    Jackson EQC
    -F350 CrewCab 4x4
    -LoadNGo utility bed
    -Bobcat 250NT
    -PassportPlus/Q300
    -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
    -Suitcase8RC/Q400
    -Suitcase12RC/Q300
    -Smith oxy/propane
    -Jackson EQC

Default s22a mig

so i cant get into my bobcat and get the 24 volt from the 17 to28 volt control on the front of it?

No. That is weld output voltage in the constant-voltage mode, which goes to the weld lead for the feeder. You would also need a contactor in the bobcat to turn the weld output on and off.

I've already gone through the whole scenario with my own Bobcat. The short answer is, if you want 14-pin remote capability in your engine drive, either trade it for a Trailblazer, or use it as a generator to power another welding machine that has remote capability, like I do with my Bobcat and XMT.
    Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
    Millermatic175
    MillermaticPassport/Q300
    HTP MIG200
    PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
    ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
    DialarcHF, Radiator-1
    Hypertherm PowerMax 380
    Purox oxy/ace
    Jackson EQC
    -F350 CrewCab 4x4
    -LoadNGo utility bed
    -Bobcat 250NT
    -PassportPlus/Q300
    -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
    -Suitcase8RC/Q400
    -Suitcase12RC/Q300
    -Smith oxy/propane
    -Jackson EQC

Nope. It ain't gonna work like that. There is something you could do... You don't need the WC 115 either..

You could get a PSA 115 to 24 volt converter box & make a pony lead to supply AUX 115 to it & run your S22 A feeder from that. Kinda hack, but can easily be accomplished & would do the trick. Then, your CV current from the engine drive would connect to the feeder, supplying weld current to MIG weld with.

If you follow what I'm saying, you are going to use 115 power (from another source, such as a wall outlet) thru the 24 volt transformer to run the drive motor on your 24 volt feeder. The weld current will be supplied from your Bobcat engine drive.

The remote curcuit on the TB machines supplies 24 volts AC to the feeder, where it is rectified to DC. The PSA module will take 115 VAC & turn it into 24 VAC, the DC conversion will happen in the feeder.

The 115 VAC AUX power connected to the PSA box would have to come from another source, being the Bobcat will not supply full 115 VAC to it's AUX outlets unless the fine current control is turned all the way up, leaving you no way to adjust the weld current.

Of course, as DR already pointed out, you would have no contactor so the wire would always be hot. You could construct an additional contactor to run on the 115 VAC powering the PSA control, but for all the time invested, best off getting a voltage sensing wire feeder & be done with it.

Feasible... Yeah.

Practical.. Well, if you had everything just lying around, maybe.
    Last edited by 7A749; 12-13-2009 at 08:01 PM.
    So you're telling me...You're not nostalgic? Then, give me another word for it......