Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Ideas

Question Need Ideas

I have a customer who wants to feed 2 of the big square bales of hay off of the back of his flatbed truck. He wants something to push the bales slowly off the back where they break off in flakes across the field. Needs to be something relatively simple and cost effective. I have researched some on the internet but they are too complicated. I was thinking maybe something with a winch and pulley or something. Any ideas?

How about a small section of hay conveyor with a guillotine, and chopping block? You could install a variable speed motor on the conveyor, and rig up a timer to the guillotine to coordinate with the conveyor!
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

The process would be a lot easier if he started out with the blocks already cut into sections and then loading them into a delivery chute that drops onto the belt or skip the belt and drop the peices directley onto the ground every minute or so, maybe a screw type of press could push them out?Mike
    Last edited by crawdaddy; 12-12-2009 at 06:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kystik35 View Post
    Needs to be something relatively simple and cost effective. I have researched some on the internet but they are too complicated.
    Sounds like you have a small shop like I do. Customers want things done cheap but don't realize how much time goes into a project you are planning.
    My shop rate is $55 per hour plus material and shop supplies. Just as a Ford Dealership does but there shop rate is more like $80 to $90 per hour. I hate when customers say you get $55 per hour that way too much. I give up on explaining about the rent, utilities, welders, gasses, vice grips, drill press, lathe, Pickup, insurance, forklift, and so on. I just say that is what is going to take to have me do the job some go some stay and the ones that stay are happy when they get there product finished, I try to give a time line when it will be done and try to stick to it. I get them to return and they are my best advertisement. When someone new call I always ask how did you find out about me and most times it is from a past customer.
    To answer your question make your plan from what is out there in your research and get the customer involved with planning if he don't like what you come up with move on.
    Rick C

Some times the best plan is simple. I like your thoughts on the winch and pulley. you could use some box tube of two sizes with uprights welded to the larger and slide it off the back of the truck. only problem is the flakes, will they fall off or do they need help. Good luck!

This is a round bale trailer I found on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irIu5KizaRg

Default Just spitballing

If you want to do it and he wants it cheap what about something with a garage door opener. I know you can get an old one for pretty cheap. A screw style would be cool. Then he can control it from in the cab with an on/off switch.

Or use a wheel on the ground to turn a conveyor, just gear it down so the conveyor is at a crawl. Maybe a lifting chain or linkage so he can stop it from inside the cab by lifting the ground wheel.

Just my thoughts.
    Please post pics of what you end up building.

I've helped build some thing I think will help and it was fairly easy. We had all the parts laying around wich if you don't it may get kinda pricey.
    I assume he's putting the bales side by side.
    We salvaged the walking floor from an old bale wagon along with the hydrolic motors. We cut a slot across the front of the bed wide enough for the floor to pass through. It also has to be deep enough to lay a piece of pipe for a radius for walking floor. We did the same at the back of the bed. We later made these roll as a solid pipe was noisy and alot of drag. We built a support under the bed and mounts for the motor. The pump was an old snow plow unit that ran off an engine belt. Had a valve in cab to control it. After some fine tuning and adjustments the thing worked great. It's also very use full for many other thing around the ranch.
    If he's an old rancher he might have this stuff. Alot of em never throw any thing away and build some awesome stuff out of old "junk"

The customer says that if there is a device that pushes the bales to the back of the truck that gravity will take care of the flakes. My original plans were to make something that could be unhooked and easily set off in the spring and summer months where he could use the truck for other things or to pull a gooseneck trailer. I was thinking something that would line up with the standards in the bed.

how heavy are the bales ,how big, dose he want to push them side by side or end to end? how fast do you want them pushed?