Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Home Made Bumper

The old bumper was no longer useful so I got to build a new one for the work truck.
    We had lots of 8" plate .25" thick so that is what I used.
    All the pieces were cut out with a plasma and welded together. Dan (co worker) suggested that I clean it up with body filler. Maybe if I make one for my truck but not this one.
    Any comments, ideas or questions are welcome.
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is a very nice job!

I wouldn’t have one myself, but I can sure appreciate the work that goes into the front bumpers that people build, (not cnc bent). The bumpers that look like they came out of a Road Warriors movie, or cow catcher on the front of an old train.
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

looks pretty tough

Default Home Made Bumper

Hey looks real nice what holds the bumper to the frame

Quote Originally Posted by Vernon View Post
    what holds the bumper to the frame

Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Looks good!

I did one for a guy once & royally lost my can on it. Never again.....

Good job
    So you're telling me...You're not nostalgic? Then, give me another word for it......

Quote Originally Posted by Vernon View Post
    Hey looks real nice what holds the bumper to the frame
    I used the stock brackets from the old bumper and just lined up the holes on one of the braces behind the bumper.

Then I bolted a piece of 4" X 2" pipe across the frame rails, bolted a piece of flat bar to the pipe and welded the other end of the flat bar to the back or the receiver. we needed the receiver for a winch more than a trailer. It will probably get tested really good in the next little while (snow is coming).

Good job on the bumper. What are the rails in the shop floor for? Do you work on rail cars?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick C View Post
    Good job on the bumper. What are the rails in the shop floor for? Do you work on rail cars?
    The rails are in the shop floor. I am a Carman for a railroad

Nice job and I like the attention to detail!