Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Converting a wire feeder from two to four drive rolls.

Here's a conversion I have done quite a few times to a standard S 52 model Miller wire feeder. I will do it in two posts for all the pix.

In this instance, I used the drive from an A1 D robotic wire feed setup I had laying around. The A1 D motor & drive is the same as that on a standard 50 Series feeder. The D Series (digital readout) uses an additional tach assy', the A1 D motors come standard with them.

I started by disassembling the wire feeder & isolating the mount/riser assy' the motor & control head attach to. The A1 D assy' is also disassembled. I use a small die grinder with a cutoff wheel to remove the two drive mounting plate from the feeder riser.

The A1 D drive plate is trimmed to the same size as a standard S 54 mounting plate would be. I use a Metabo grinder with a 6" cutoff wheel.

Here's the first set of pix. These show the riser with & without it's standard drive mounting plate, the A1 D motor assy', the 4 drive plate being trimmed to size & the parts ready to be welded.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 7A749; 12-07-2009 at 07:24 PM.
    So you're telling me...You're not nostalgic? Then, give me another word for it......

In these pix, I weld the modified A1 D plate to the riser. I TIG welded it, MIG can be used also, but TIG gives a cleaner look.

After the mounting is complete, the unit is painted & the aluminum drive casting is installed along with the motor, etc. This went on a control head & was sold as a complete unit. The A1 D motor assy's can be had for almost nothing at auction & are quite useful. I had about a dozen of them at one time. Most ended up as you see them here, on a completed unit.

The red fiberboard backing you see is the standard insulator for the A1 D motor assy's. It's much thinner & cleaner looking IMHO than the paperboard backing used on the standard 50 Seried machines. If you have the parts available, 24 pitch quick change carriers can be used in place of the standard 12 pitch. they are quite expensive tho & you have to use a modified one for the main drive gear, which means you have to remove the quick change plastic hub assy' from one & at over $35 a pop retail, an expensive venture.

I opt for used parts of high quality whenever I can to save the customer some money.

An easy Factory look modification that will bring better money for this model feeder. I usually remove the metal tag on the riser if it says 52 Series on it. The later models didn't have them anyways. I have done many of these & the customer never knows what it started out as until you show them the pix.

Stay tuned for more fun stuff..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 7A749; 12-07-2009 at 07:28 PM.
    So you're telling me...You're not nostalgic? Then, give me another word for it......

It is very apparent you are a craftsmen! Very nice work!
    I always liked the 4 roll systems, especially for large flux core wires.
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonora Iron View Post
    It is very apparent you are a craftsmen! Very nice work!
    I always liked the 4 roll systems, especially for large flux core wires.
    Thanks. There's some excellent stuff here made by some very talented people, just beginning to get a look at the welding projects pix.

I like your avatar!

Default 4 Drive Wheels

Very professional looking job!
    Bill

Miller Mig 130XP
    Linde VI206 W/Mig
    Miller Econotig
    L Tec Plasma PCM32i
    Pneumtic Forging Hammer 75#
    Mechanical Forging Hammer 65#
    Propane Forge
    Makita Chop Saw
    Bader 72" Belt Grinder