Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Series 50 refurbs

Here's a few more pix of some 50 series machines I did this summer. Since I was asked about going thru the entire machine, I will let the pix tell the story. The first post is the before condition & tear down.

The rest will follow.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    So you're telling me...You're not nostalgic? Then, give me another word for it......

It didn't really need much electronically (except a new board), but I take the entire head assy' off & do a detail clean & inspection anyways. The motor comes out & I pull the rear cover, tach assy' & inspect the bearings & arm. If the motor cords are bad, I replace them. All the cast aluminum parts get bead blasted & clear coated.

The face comes off too, along with the DRO assy' & housing. I paint all the individual pieces before reassembly. Everything gets washed before paint. Yes, it is OK to wash stuff like this. Getting it entirely dry before firing it back up is the key.

I use a custom mixed automotive acrylic enamel & have a shop the makes repro decals for me here locally in Lansing, MI. Been doing these 50 Series wrappers (sheetmetal) in stainless & they have come out really nice so far.

Here's the finished machine. I worked on it off & on for about a week.

The final pic is of an ugly one next to a refurbed unit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 7A749; 12-07-2009 at 07:07 AM.
    So you're telling me...You're not nostalgic? Then, give me another word for it......

Welcome. Nice looking work. How did you get into rebuilding feeders & why mostly 50 series? Just curious.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Quote Originally Posted by MMW View Post
    Welcome. Nice looking work. How did you get into rebuilding feeders & why mostly 50 series? Just curious.
    Thanks. I have been buying & selling machines for about 10 years. I started doing refurbs mostly because sending them out to troubleshoot simple problems cost too much money. It has been progressive. At first, I was just cleaning them up & realized more was needed to sell them as refurbished units.

I'm not tooting my own horn, but after seeing what some on the net pass off as "rebuilt", I never want to be associated in any way with hacks like that.

As far as my love for the 50 Series, it goes way back..

They are one of the toughest, heavy duty wire feeders ever manufactured & remained literally unchanged from their introduction in the mid '70's until the early '90's with the introduction of the 60 Series 24 volt units. 50 Series style drives are found on everything from Millermatic all in ones to heavy duty robotic welding systems.

IMHO, the best bang for your buck, being they can run on almost any CV power source. I have seen these running on engine drive machines with the 115 plugged into the aux outlet. Hard to beat something so versitle & heavy duty.

IMHO, of course

As always, nice work!

Good to see you here Steve!
    Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
    Millermatic175
    MillermaticPassport/Q300
    HTP MIG200
    PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
    ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
    DialarcHF, Radiator-1
    Hypertherm PowerMax 380
    Purox oxy/ace
    Jackson EQC
    -F350 CrewCab 4x4
    -LoadNGo utility bed
    -Bobcat 250NT
    -PassportPlus/Q300
    -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
    -Suitcase8RC/Q400
    -Suitcase12RC/Q300
    -Smith oxy/propane
    -Jackson EQC

Quote Originally Posted by Desertrider33 View Post
    As always, nice work!

Good to see you here Steve!
    Thanks DR!!

I appreciate your insight on this forum. I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

What do you know about air co stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by jardine View Post
    What do you know about air co stuff?
    Depends on what it is. Esab, Miller & others all manufactured machines for Airco to the best of my knowledge.

What do you have?

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ghlight=air-co
    This is one of them.
    The machine is programable to run on a robot but also manual. I pull the trigger, nothing, let go of trigger the feed starts working till the wire makes an arc then shuts off. It acts like it's set up on some program for a robot. It's been awhile since I've screwed with it. I might have to turn it back on to refresh me. I traded an old lincon that for it. Its real cherry and could be a good asset to me.
    Any insight would be good
    Thanks,
    Jerod

I like it. looks good.