Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default My attempt at pipewelding today.

As you can see, I'm not a pipe welder,

Don't laugh to hard, I'm trying
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default pipe welding

Quote Originally Posted by bubba9459 View Post
    As you can see, I'm not a pipe welder,

Don't laugh to hard, I'm trying
    looks pretty good buddy
    Vernon

Cap looks OK, break some coupons out of it and let's see the real truth!
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

They look real good!
    Do you have them pictured upside down? You didn’t run them down hill did you?
    What machine are you using? Do you have Arc Force or Dig? Reason I ask looks like the weld is stiff, needs more fluidity / more flow.
    What brand of rod are you using?
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Yep, Down, I guess thats cheating ! even worse, I'm using my Miller 135, Don't have a stick welder. Not real good at vertical up ( works good in a corner )

.500 wall pipe, I don't think the 135 makes enough heat to keep it flowing. Plus I'm running .023 wire right now, maybe the .030 would be better.
    The root pass was nice and hot, not quite the " stack of dimes " but it looked good.

When I built the butterfly, I had to piece together (5) - 1ft pieces of 4" pipe, I used the .035 fluxcore, It ran nice and hot, for such a small machine.

Quote Originally Posted by nocheepgas View Post
    break some coupons out of it and let's see the real truth!
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba9459 View Post
    Yep, Down, I guess thats cheating ! even worse, I'm using my Miller 135, Don't have a stick welder. Not real good at vertical up ( works good in a corner )

.500 wall pipe, I don't think the 135 makes enough heat to keep it flowing. Plus I'm running .023 wire right now, maybe the .030 would be better.
    The root pass was nice and hot, not quite the " stack of dimes " but it looked good.

When I built the butterfly, I had to piece together (5) - 1ft pieces of 4" pipe, I used the .035 fluxcore, It ran nice and hot, for such a small machine.
    If you do as nocheepgas suggest, stand back, way back!
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

They look good. However, .500 wall is a bit heavy for that machine and wire. Fluxcore would work better, and if you V'd the joint, you might get in enough heat. If it was me though I might have tried preheating it to get the temperature up prior to striking an arc, or used a heavier machine.
    Diversion 165
    Lincoln SP175T
    Ryobi Drill Press
    No Name Portable band and chop saws
    '97 Triumph Trophy 900 (3 cylinder, hence Triple!)

work at it soon you might be an expert.

Good as a practice coupon, you might even hit a good spot to cut a test from but its scrap. Great for art work. I don't mean that as an insult, it looks nice. But this crew on this forum generally wants to leave the impression that heavy pipe welding with a 135 is an unacceptable practice for anything subject to service.
    Last edited by Sberry; 12-09-2009 at 08:35 AM.

Yep, I wouldn't try to pass it off as anything structural, It was just for this little dog, Running low on pipe so I had to weld two short pieces together for his body.
    Attached Images Attached Images