Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hobart 140 vs miller 140

I've been lookin at the 140 miller and that's what machine I want I was just wondering what's the diffrence between the Hobart and the miller as far as the price diffrence I was just wondering what extra are u paying for buying the miller for what I pay for the Hobart I could buy the spool gun and the machine. For the price I could just buy the miller Just curious thanks

I don't have apples-to-apples experience with both machines, but I'll point out that both companies have the same corporate owner. However, the machines are manufactured in different plants. You'll see some Miller parts on the Hobart.

Hobarts usually have tapped voltage settings and Millers usually have infinite controls.

-Dan
    Owner
    DW Metalworks LLC
    Miller Trailblazer 302
    Miller 8RC Feeder
    Miller Passport Plus
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX W/Coolmate 1
    Hobart Handler 135
    Hypertherm PowerMAX 30
    Smith O/A Torch Set
    Plus more tools then my wife will ever know about....

Quote Originally Posted by engnerdan View Post
    Hobarts usually have tapped voltage settings and Millers usually have infinite controls.

-Dan
    what is the diffrence between the two what diffrence does it make i dont know much about the machines

Quote Originally Posted by Too View Post
    what is the diffrence between the two what diffrence does it make i dont know much about the machines
    Tapped selectors give you a handful of fixed outputs
    that you can select. It's either on number 1 (say 20v) or
    number 2 (say 18v). You can't get "Number 1.5" if you want, say,
    19v (btw, I'm just making up these numbers - I don't know what
    the HH's numbers are). The infinitely variable control lets you
    set it at any point (continuing my example, you could set the
    knob half way between 1 and 2 to get 19v, or 3/4 the way to
    get 19.5 or ...).

Another way to think of it is like a car radio. If you JUST had
    the selector buttons, you could just pick the 4 or 5 or 6
    stations that are programmed in, you could not select anything
    else. But with the tuning knob, you can select any frequency on
    the radio you want.

Some people say that you need infinitely variable
    selection to get the exact settings you want. Others
    say that the settings on their HH get them close enough
    that the extra variabilty doesn't really buy much.
    I have no opinion on this argument...

Enough of that...

The other big difference between Hobart and Miller is that
    Miller is generally believed to be targeting their machines
    to the industrial/commercial market, while Hobart's are
    more aimed for lighter duty. If that's true, then the Hobart
    machines are likely to have somewhat less-studly parts
    here and there. I don't know that these are truths or not,
    but it is a sort of prevailing opinion (or maybe those of us
    who bought miller machines hope it's true 'cuz if it isn't,
    we paid more for nothing

When I tool some welding courses at adult-ed a few years ago,
    we had both mm140 and hh140 machines. By day, the school
    taught votech highschool welding. The school kids were not, shall
    we say, overly respectful in their care of the machines. The teacher
    said that both machines seemed to get broken at about the
    same rate; that is, he saw no significant difference in how well the
    machines stood up to the kids' misuse.

I expect that you'd be happy with either one.

frank

I personally would go with the Miller in this case if it were me buying the machine. I have used both Hobart and Miller 140's and I like the Miller better. You can fine tune your settings on the Miller better than the Hobart. My brother owns a Hobart 140 which is a good little machine, It came with a Miller gun when he bought it.

Well there is 2 ways of looking at these machines. Both machines naturally do the same thing, the Hobart is less expensive, and somewhat weaker in design.

You will have much more control, and have a much better learing curve on the Miller than trying to fiddle with the wire speed on the Hobart.

Say if you ran into some financial difficultys and had to sell off your machine, the Hobart is pretty much worth significantly less than the comparible Miller which still retains a depreciated value.
    Last edited by cruizer; 12-03-2009 at 02:48 PM.

For what it's worth, I've been completely happy with my Hobart Handler 140. I don't know how they hold their value in all parts of the country, but I've seen several sell used on ebay for more than I paid for mine new. Hobart, Lincoln and Miller are all going to hold their value much better than most tools.

I recently got a Millermatic 211, so I could also run 220v. It's not the same as the 240, but it's a solid machine.

I don't think you're going to see a dramatic difference between these two entry level machines.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Olsen View Post
    For what it's worth, I've been completely happy with my Hobart Handler 140. I don't know how they hold their value in all parts of the country, but I've seen several sell used on ebay for more than I paid for mine new. Hobart, Lincoln and Miller are all going to hold their value much better than most tools.

I recently got a Millermatic 211, so I could also run 220v. It's not the same as the 240, but it's a solid machine.

I don't think you're going to see a dramatic difference between these two entry level machines.
    i looked at that do u think the 211 is a better choice as far as the money how much more of a option does it give u what im asking is do u think it would be worth while to go ahead and spend the extra 400 dollars in the long run

The 211 is great. But it's about triple the price of the Hobart 140, which makes the Hobart a great value (while the Miller is just a great welder).

It depends on what you're going to be welding. I bought the 211, but I still haven't come up with a job where I need the extra power. You've got to be pretty hard core to be making anything out of 3/8" to 1/2" steel.

My first project was a fence for my front yard. The Hobart was great in the shop, and then it was easy to take it out to the perimeter of the yard to put the sections together. The Miller 211 would have done the job just as well, but having a 220-only machine would have been useless for the outside stuff (without a very long and expensive extension cord).

Last edited by Jack Olsen; 12-03-2009 at 09:05 PM.