Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Nice Table

Looks really good! How tall did you make it? I just had a guy donate a bunch of steel he removed from a job he did on a automated belt. He said all i had to do was load it up and it was mine. Its more than enough to make several benches. I don't have a really big shop and the idea of wheels to me makes sense. I am always having to move something around to make room for bigger projects. Do you have any close ups on how you mounted the wheels? I was thinking you really should have a shelf. You could make it solid or slotted that way you wouldn't get a lot of dust and other waste building up on it. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by KT WELDOR View Post
    ... How tall did you make it?
    Hi

Bench height is a very personal thing.
    Factors include things like how tall you are,
    what "feels good" to you, what kind of work
    you're doing (tig, for example, is often done
    sitting, while stick isn't, for which the optimum
    heights ar different ... except not everyone
    sits for tig or stands for stick... :-), how much
    overhead height you have (because top of
    bench to bottom of ceiling is the max size thing
    you can put there), how old you are (the older
    you are, the harder it might be to bend...) etc.

As a general rule of thumb, look at your kitchen
    counter tops and adjust from that.

The other thing I recommend is to go to a woodworking
    store and look through their book section for books/plans
    on benches. Woodworkers spend a lot of time trying
    to figure out "the best" bench height... We can learn from
    them :-)

frank

Quote Originally Posted by KT WELDOR View Post
    Looks really good! How tall did you make it? I just had a guy donate a bunch of steel he removed from a job he did on a automated belt. He said all i had to do was load it up and it was mine. Its more than enough to make several benches. I don't have a really big shop and the idea of wheels to me makes sense. I am always having to move something around to make room for bigger projects. Do you have any close ups on how you mounted the wheels? I was thinking you really should have a shelf. You could make it solid or slotted that way you wouldn't get a lot of dust and other waste building up on it. Just a thought.
    Thanks,
    As soon as I get in the shop I will let you know how tall the table is. I can tell you that all the welding tables I have used were always too short and after some time my back would hurt. I designed this table to be comfortable when standing or sitting on a stool. I agree about the shelves but I am not sure what I need at this point. My shop is average size but I always make my equipment mobile for the reasons you pointed out....big projects.
    Nick
    e

An easy and safe way to move a heavy plate like this, is to weld some tabs on it and use a chain. You'll have many years of use with this table.
    How much was the plate if you dont mind me asking?

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    An easy and safe way to move a heavy plate like this, is to weld some tabs on it and use a chain. You'll have many years of use with this table.
    How much was the plate if you dont mind me asking?
    Daniel,
    To be honest I have had the plate for quite some time so I am not sure how much I paid. I got it from a local metal recycler and paid $0.15/lb. Since then the price has gone up to $0.20/lb, which is still a lot cheaper than new steel!!!! I had to get one more 20' stick of 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" 11ga. square tubing, and I got it for the "discounted" price of $75 per stick not including tax.
    Nick