Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pipe bending

Default Pipe bending

Does anybody have any idea of how I could make a jig or something to bend 2 1/2 inch pipe for pipes on a truck without having to spend a grand or more on a bender any ideas, pictures or thoughts would be helpful thanks..

What are you trying to make? What degree bends do you need to make? Are you going to be bending pipe or tube, they have different OD?

If your doing a once in a lifetime project, when you factor the cost, and learning curve of a bender, youd be money ahead to sub your bends out.
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on my experiences in my little bitty world.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonora Iron View Post
    If your doing a once in a lifetime project, when you factor the cost, and learning curve of a bender, youd be money ahead to sub your bends out.
    Wise words indeed!!!
    Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
    Miller DialArc 250
    Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
    Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
    Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
    Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
    South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
    Logan 7" shaper
    Ellis 3000 band saw
    Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
    Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
    3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
    Lots of dust bunnies
    Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

Sounds like he's trying to make an exhaust system? There are plenty of on-line sources of pre-formed parts; just buy a bunch, and cut/fit/weld as necessary.

I know this, only because I've been searching the web the last couple days .... a friend of mine just bought a truck, with the catalytic converter removed ... apparently, a new law, just took effect, makes 99% of all replacement catalysts illegal here; they will not even ship to California. But in my various searches, I found you can get mandrel formed 33's, 45's, 90's, 180's, in whatever diameters you desire.
    Last edited by JSFAB; 11-30-2009 at 11:56 AM.

Default Benders

Originally Posted by Sonora Iron
    If your doing a once in a lifetime project, when you factor the cost, and learning curve of a bender, you’d be money ahead to sub your bends out

I agree, You may be ahead to job out this one We all are tool poor. Money is hard to make anymore so sometimes better to job it out or even turn it down. Most Benders plus dies are alot of money. Well good luck would like to know what you come up with.
    Vernon
    Last edited by Vernon; 11-30-2009 at 11:55 AM.

I'm. Trying to make exhaust pipe and I just wondered if there was a way to make a jig for a 90 and maybe a 45 so I could do it myself I'm looking at getting a new 140 millermatic for Christmas so I was just gonna see if anybody has ever attempted to bend it before or if there was ways to do it without a machine thanks

Ive been at this a long time, by hand? Never seen it, cut wedges, saw cuts, maybe, but really not worth the effort!
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on my experiences in my little bitty world.

I would just buy what ever you need from a place like this http://www.spdexhaust.com/BendsB.html and then cut and fit and weld it all together. With a little googling you can probably get the bends you need for a decent price.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonora Iron View Post
    Ive been at this a long time, by hand? Never seen it, cut wedges, saw cuts, maybe, but really not worth the effort!
    I actually do it on 2 inch all the time, I use sawzall and am really proficient, takes just a few minutes.