Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Proper marking of big pipe to cut straight

The project I have at hand isnt desperate to be a perfect cut. I just want to know when I get one that is. 6in exhaust pipe for my semi. I need to shorten the pipes. What is the best way to mark and cut when you dont have a big enough saw? I have a sawzall and a portaband, both too small to do the job without going around the pipe. Id like not to end up with an angled mark or cut. The baloney cut belongs on the top, not the joint.
    Who do you call when the lawmakers ignore the law?

Miller AC/DC Thunderbolt 225
    Miller 180 w/Autoset
    Old cutting torch on LPG

a little bit finicky but a pipe wrap will do the job use them every day and always get a good cut (well the mark is strait....)
    trail blazer 302
    hypertherm plasma
    millermatic 251
    high feq. arc starter
    suit case (extreme 12vs)
    o/a torches
    way to many other tools to list

I found one at "the gangbox". How is it used?

Miller 180 w/Autoset
    Old cutting torch on LPG

Basically wrap it around the exhaust pipe twice on itself, and let the excess hang down.

Make sure that the wraps are even all the way around so that you know the line is straight.

Take a Sharpie and make your mark around your esxhaust pipe.

Remove the Wrap-a-Round and make your cut.

Very simple to use.
    Later,
    Jason

Professional Spark Generator by Trade.

Default "Belted"

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingpig View Post
    The project I have at hand isnt desperate to be a perfect cut. I just want to know when I get one that is. 6in exhaust pipe for my semi. I need to shorten the pipes. What is the best way to mark and cut when you dont have a big enough saw? I have a sawzall and a portaband, both too small to do the job without going around the pipe. Id like not to end up with an angled mark or cut. The baloney cut belongs on the top, not the joint.
    Quarter-mark the pipe and use a wide piece of leather (like a belt) and draw your line with a Sharpie or silver pencil. I keep a roll of leather strap (can be bought at places like Tandy's) in my tool box.

Pipe wrap works great too, but if you're in a hurry, and can't wait for delivery, use your belt. (Hope you have suspenders, too)

Dave
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Default Marking pipe.

There was a reference to a website where you could create an angled pipe marking wrap. I thought it was here somewhere but haven't found it just yet.
    Might do a search on cutting pipe at an angle. I know that several companies have special tools that are used for this issue. Something called a pipe wizard or such.
    Mustangs Forever!

Miller equipment.

Default Flange wizard.

Thats the name of it. Flange wizard. I think they make those pipe wraps as well.
    Last edited by captkipp; 11-29-2009 at 12:17 PM. Reason: spelling
    Mustangs Forever!

Miller equipment.

Thanks!!!!

Miller 180 w/Autoset
    Old cutting torch on LPG

You guys aren't paying attention again...

He FOUND a Pipe Wrap in a gang box, and he is NOT cutting the angle cut at the Top of the Stack, he is doing the Straight cut at the BOTTOM that goes into the muffler.

FYI - Here is the link to Flange Wizard:

http://www.flangewizard.com/

Here is the link to the Curve-O-Mark Contour ones I use up here:

http://www.jacksonsafety.com/linkcheck.cfm?SubCatID=45
    Last edited by Black Wolf; 11-29-2009 at 12:49 PM.
    Later,
    Jason

Professional Spark Generator by Trade.

Default Oops.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Wolf View Post
    You guys aren't paying attention again...

He FOUND a Pipe Wrap in a gang box, and he is NOT cutting the angle cut at the Top of the Stack, he is doing the Straight cut at the BOTTOM that goes into the muffler.

FYI - Here is the link to Flange Wizard:

http://www.flangewizard.com/

Here is the link to the Curve-O-Mark Contour ones I use up here:

http://www.jacksonsafety.com/linkcheck.cfm?SubCatID=45
    Sorry Black Wolf. I miss read his initial statement. I thought he had to make BOTH cuts.
    Mustangs Forever!

Miller equipment.