Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Some People want Rhinos......

I want a Lifted Industrial Cart.

ok im a bit odd and nuts but i love every minute of it. next door is a plant nursery that has been there ever since i moved into my house as a little lad. they have a few Taylor Dunn electric carts. as the old owners are getting into there mid 90's so they closed up shop. sold off a bunch of stuff but they have one electric cart still there. its been there for a year or two now. im planning to ask the owner if i could have it either for free or really cheep. they used to have about 5 others there and they sold them off. so this poor sheep is sitting out there rottin away, and ive wanted it since i was 5yrs old.

(crappy cell phone picture of said lone cart. its a 3 wheeled cart BTW.)

so everyone has Yamaha rhino's, lifted golf carts, etc..... me! i want a lifted and 4X4 industrial vehicle.

ive done some reading and Taylor Dunn mostley used Ford 9" rear ends they are really narrowed down quite a bit. if that's the case id yank the 3rd member and install a normal truck type 3rd member with a yoke on the pinion, and get me a jeep Dana 30 front Axel or something of that sort, that's small cheep and narrow it down also. as for my front Axel i plan to position it directly under the front seats maybe a little forward.

the cart pictured is a uni body style 3 wheeled setup. the current front wheel is located right under the drivers bench seat. i plan to cut the front wheel out of it and weld in some 2x3 tube to make some frame rails so i can put my leaf springs on there, and add cross members to stiffen it up a little. the units design is 16ga steel diamond plate and 3/16" angle iron, so its built tuff.

now for the drivetrain, this is why im making a bit long post to get some ideas and maybe other options on one way i was thing of powering this project.

1st idea: keep it electric at either the stock 36V system or up the voltage and use a new controller. my plan was to get a Manuel transfer case of some kind and figure out a way to attach the electric motor directly to the transfer case and go that route.

or

2nd idea: use a small engine somewhere in the 15 to 22HP range and a 3spd Manuel transmission and clutch setup like my '79 cushman haulster, and some how couple the transmission to the transfer case. reverse is a big need and depending what cushman type and year i get my transmission, i can get a get a really low geared transmission.

(pic of said '79 cushman. no im not taking the drive train out of it for this project idea. it runs good and is almost complete, just a bit tired)

so there you have it, my oddball project idea.

would prefer to make it gas powered, so any inputs on a small clutch and reversing transmission set up i could use in case i can not find the parts from a cushman would be great.

something to tinker with have fun and be DIFFERENT!

its something ive been thinking about for a while now. ive spent the last week or so researching ways to build build this monster, and needed to get my idea out there on the net to get some ideas from others.

BTW: the 3 wheeled cart is 10' long and 3' wide, the wheels and tires will stick out to widen it some. and the wheelbase should be around what a golf cart is, if not more.

thanks.
    Last edited by joey2589; 11-25-2009 at 12:17 AM.
    78' Miller AEAD-200LE
    08' Miller Matic 180 Autoset.

Surplus Center has lawn tractor transmissions for reasonable prices. Many of them have reverse, and some even have two speeds of reverse.

Off camber stability is greatly reduced with 3 wheel designs. Keep that in mind, as when you lift it, you'll only make things worse.

So if you're not going to go too crazy with your off road travels in it, good luck and have fun.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

its not staying 3 wheeled. the gray one will lol its dads yard cart. the green one when i get it will be 4 wheeled.

i plan to do a narrowed solid automotive front axle. to match up with the narrowed rear automotive axle.

its quite heavy so i would doubt a lawn tractor transmission would be strong enough for the weight and power.

link to surplus center by chance?
    78' Miller AEAD-200LE

Google it.

Automotive axles are far more than you need in that size vehicle. You'll consume more power turning the hypoid gears than you realize. Lawn tractors can be built with pretty stout engines, you just need a transmission that will handle it. If you're that he l l bent on going automotive, get an 80's honda and rob the entire driveline out of it. You'll get power steering, real suspension, and the whole works will be ready to run once you strap it to your chassis.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Smith O/A rig

its going to be four wheel drive, hence the reason of using a automotive front end. by time its lifted up and on 22" tires it wouldn't be something you would want to go really fast in anyways.

the green unit isn't very wide anyways its 3'6" wide now but my idea of a final width somewhere under 5' wide. more like 4'6" wide but will see.

mostlikley the action it would see is fire roads, desert cruising, maybe the flat parts of the sand dunes at the OHV oceano dunes, ca, dumont dues, ca etc.
    78' Miller AEAD-200LE

You do realize what you want to do would be better served starting from scratch right?

Making it look like a cushman cart when you're done is pretty easy with flat sheet aluminum.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Smith O/A rig

yept i do. right now its a idea. it may or may not happen. but work is slow and i need something to keep my mind busy.
    78' Miller AEAD-200LE

im trying to find the drive line from a cushman LIKE pictured (gray POS). the parts ive found are either WAY to far away or WAY overpriced. im trying to find like power transmission devices from other vehicles other then just cushman. reason im asking here.
    78' Miller AEAD-200LE

But the cushman's aren't 4wd.

Seriously, you'd be better off taking the guts of an s10 and making a buggy than trying to adapt something like that cart to what you want.

Crappy old trucks are cheap, and you'd start with complete systems - which may need refurbing, but you'd at least be able to go to a parts store and get one.
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Smith O/A rig

I just dont know. some people just dont now when to buy it all ready.