Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Liability/Insurance question

Curious on what you guys carry for insurance for welding on vehicles for either street/strip?

Im looking at liability insurance, but am wondering if I would also need to carry a manufacturing policy?

Items I plan on welding mostly are step notches, crossmembers, and roll cages.

But before I do I want my but covered.

Thanks.
    Darrel

Besides liability you need to have "product performance liability" as well.
    I am sure others here will chime in with much more detailed and informative explanations than me.
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller Spoolmate 200
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Good Luck- the premium alone will probably knock you off yer feet.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Thats what im tryin to figure out, cost/benefit. And how much to charge to cover my costs. I have about 6 people who want 4 point roll cages fabbed to comply with local track requirments. But Im not going to if it is going to cost me to much. Is there any waiver of liability if they are built to SCCA spec? I dont know how much a waiver actually waives liability. But the insurance companies here dont know anything outside of oilfield.

I have Farm Bureau liability insurance witch only covers me while I'm on site working. Once I leave I am not covered. For the liability plus 10k in equipment coverage its 35.00 a month.

I have looked into insurance for items such as you described. I was told I needed "Finish Product" insurance, witch varies from 4k-20k depending on the product. That is just what I was told, I did not pursue anymore info on it.

The problem is yer just not big enough for an Insurance company to look at you unless you manufacture quite a bit of the product.

Your General Liability probably covers you somewhat.

You can Incorporate- offers some protection.

Also, you are the Fabricator so assuming you know how to do these cages then you probably don't have anything to worry about-
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Im not worried about my product, Im worried about people thinking cages make them bullet proof and decide to sue if they are injured when they are inverted and suffer whiplash and blame it on my product not doing what they assumed it would after the fact. I got laid off from building 55' trailers and I know the insurance wasnt cheap, and any time a trailer was involved in an accident, we were automatically sued and had to go through legal proceedings to show we wernt't at fault, but the legal fees for something like that would sink me, but now I'm on my own I want to be protected.