Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default here are the pics.. and description .

Quote Originally Posted by HMW View Post
    I was gonna say, if he does that type of work then his maintenance is probably just as crappy. But.. Its urs now. Hope its good
    HMW,You are somewhat right. I used that issue to my advantage, I payed alot less than what is was really worth. I made up all kinds of BS. : "its in poor shape, there are electrical shorts and i cant even start the thing.. Lookit all the junk in it and whats with that plywood windshield?!?!? This boat is a peice of crap. Im going to have to spend months on it...."

cosmetics... pure cosmetics. The engine looked very clean on the inside of the case. the plug were a little dry but I think the cylinders will be okay-I think.... #3 was a bit rusty so there is a possiblity of damage. lets hope for the best. The engine is a 50horse 4stroke honda. It has a long leg on it.Buddy told me that is is a kit and it can be shortenend up.. The boat needs a short leg not a long leg. if you can see the way its mounted in the pics...
    Anyway the trip was worth it. I even saw another one like it along the way. I stopped and talked witht he guy and made a new friend.. Gotta like it when that happens....

Have a look at the pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Will it weld? I loooove electricity!

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Precix 5x10 CNC Router12"Z
    Standard modern lathe
    Cheap Chinese mill that does the trick... sort of...
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    hammer and screwdriver (most used)
    little dog
    pooper scooper (2nd most used...)

some more pics of the hull

These are some of the "before" shots. When I get teh ball rollIng, I'll post some more pics..

I spent today, removing all the garbage from the boat - wood, steel bits, misc debris and useless items. I power washed it a bit so that i could work on it in sort clean state. There are alot of rust stains on it and Im going to have to get those out or they'll drive me nuts.. I have some hydrochloric acid that should do the trick... and alot of elbow grease.

First strp will be to see if the engine will run. Im sure it will, butr how well, I dunno. their is a broken wire somewhere.. thats actually the first thing to find.. Again Im sure its a simple fix... Ill update as I go along...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Standard modern lathe
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    little dog

Now.........That's a chick magnet
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Wait till she's finished! Ive got some very cool ideas for this hull. Not sure what to her yet though...

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Standard modern lathe
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    little dog

Thumbs up

well i am impressed SignWave that is a tough looking hull lots of potential was wondering what he pulled with it? i saw the towbar also is that .125 guage or thicker? around here that hull would find a home fast. crabbers and beach shrimpers would probobly be all over it especially with the four stroke.

Sign, you got yourself a nice boat there. That would be the perfect crabbing boat here on the East coast. Little elbow grease and some good aluminum cleaner, it will look like new.

Before you spend days checking the motor for a loose wire, check the switch. Mine was driving me nuts for a week, run and shut off, run and shut off, called the tech guy out from the marina, **** switch, who woulda thought.
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

Thanks Guys,
    Im getting happier by the minute with this "steal" of a deal(or should I say Aluminum?

The sides are .125 or at least thats what i thought i saw when I breifly glanced yesterday and I think the bottom is .1825". I really wish I knew the grade of aluminum though

When I was towing the thing home and while still looking like a peice of sh t, I had some guy come up to it and start eyeing it up. The wife says to me: "Maybe he'll make an offer and you can sell it for more than you bought it for.."
    I smiled and told her i'd been waiting way too long for this.. And crabbing is exactly what it'll be doing first then some prawing for some bc coast monsters!!. I'll keep posting as I move ahead with this project. The last boat I built (exactly like this one) took just under a month. I started with just a bare hull. I Had to get it welded up to my specs. by someone else. 450.00 bucks later for less than two hours work and a small amount of material.... Sigh. It gives me a great deal of pleasure knowing that I'LL BE WELDING this time around...the wiring and mechanics will also have to be done. I have to shorten the leg on the engine ( I hope its an easy one cuz legs aren't cheap...) because its too long right now and I need to put in a tach and tilt trim indicator as well as extra gauges for " Tim the tool man factor".

As for the engine wiring, I'll find that trouble with my eyes closed. I'll have a couple more pics tomorrow I think...

ciao for now.
    Last edited by SignWave; 10-22-2007 at 06:48 PM.

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Standard modern lathe
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    little dog

Post boat .........

good deal signwave.....
    very nice boat. get's me excited just looking at the pictures. I can only imagine how you feel. got your self a little piece of gold. Now how much for it ? ...................lol just joking. good thing you took the time to look at it. good luck with it. sounds like she just needs a massage and some luvin. Have you named her yet ? lol. hope every thing goes smooth for you.
    Syncro250DX Tigrunner
    Victor set
    Elite auto-helmet
    Dewalt Bench grinder
    Mastercraft miter saw
    Mac air tools
    Mac hand tools
    Toothbrush
    pencil
    toilet paper

Quote Originally Posted by Dustyhaze75 View Post
    good deal signwave.....
    very nice boat. get's me excited just looking at the pictures. I can only imagine how you feel. got your self a little piece of gold. Now how much for it ? ...................lol just joking. good thing you took the time to look at it. good luck with it. sounds like she just needs a massage and some luvin. Have you named her yet ? lol. hope every thing goes smooth for you.
    Thanks Dusty,
    I do have a name in mind but not til she's finished! I discovered that one of the shafts seals is gonzo. Im also looking at getting myself a different lower leg or drive shafts so that I can make this puppy into a short leg engine. Right now its an extra long leg and buddy who had it before me drilled new mounting holes and jacked it up four inches... whata Jacka$s....I guess you do what you have to do to get it going eh? If you saw the pics, you'll see what i mean by the donkey comment... anyways thanks again. Maybe i'll be able to take aya fishin on one of those cariboo lakes next srpint / summer... we can talk welding hehehehehe....cheers

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Standard modern lathe
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    little dog

Default strip tease

Hey everyone, Well i ve got the boat down to the hull. She's bare naked now.
    As i go through the with a fine tooth comb I am finding all kinds of "gong show" misdoings from past owners and dumba$$es. The engine im thinking may be a write off as there seems to be four posts that have been broken off under the flywheel. Those posts would of course hold the coils .... the skeg is chewed up something fierce, there is gear oil on the drive way from an undisclosed leak and the shifter ha some broken parts and needs some loving too. If this machine will start, I think it'd be a miracle. one of the *stbilizer fins on the lower leg has a nice long crack in it from imporper mounting of the "whale tail". All the zincs have been digested by Miss Sea so they will need replacing if its worth it..

*Is it possible to weld this type of casting? Im not sure of the metals that were used to cast the lower leg unit. I suspect some form of aluminum...

I bought a techmanual from a guy on ebay so I will know all the unknowns in a few days.

The hull is full of holes and cracks that are going to need welding up, but im not worried abou thtis stuff, but it goes to show that some people really dont have a clue or just dont care about their things.. When I get finished with this metal lady, she's gonna look like million bucks. Ill post some pics tommorow when i get a chance to back away from my desk.
    Last edited by SignWave; 10-26-2007 at 11:39 PM.

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Standard modern lathe
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    little dog