Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Default A few more pics

Just some misc shots that Ive taken as a push forward on this project.
    Thanks for looking!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Will it weld? I loooove electricity!

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Precix 5x10 CNC Router12"Z
    Standard modern lathe
    Cheap Chinese mill that does the trick... sort of...
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    hammer and screwdriver (most used)
    little dog
    pooper scooper (2nd most used...)

ive been procrastinating on building a stand for my motor and getting it off the boat for the winter...1970's 85HP old Merc silverstripe, on a 73 glastron 15ft'er .. too many things never enough time!

how did you go about lifting hte motor off the transom.. looked like a lift or "come-a-long" in the pic...

Quote Originally Posted by shott8283 View Post
    too many things never enough time!

how did you go about lifting hte motor off the transom.. looked like a lift or "come-a-long" in the pic...
    I hear ya on the time thing.... uhg...

I used a come along. the carport is covered by a sundeck so i just layed out a two by ten on the deck, left a few inches sticking out to wrap a chain around and then hooked the comealong to the chain. most larger engines have a lifting eye under the the cowl.

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Standard modern lathe
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    little dog

Talking boat...................

looks awsome .................................................. ..
    I got my gas lenses, material and cleaning supplys. A month later! I started aluminum for the first time last night, and alls I can say is WOW. I got a butt joint tacked but man .............it felt like I was doing a vertical root weld or keyhole weld. I need to pre heat more, too fast on the pedal. the pulse feature,...........now thats a whole new planet. I'm lost ! I set my pulse at 1pps 75%peak and 25% background. havent played with it yet, I only welded for about half-hour last night. Do you have any suggestions? I'm welding 1/8" alum. at 140amps. as soon as I took off the pulse feature I blew through it like it was soft butter lmao lmao. my balance control is at 3 should I crank it to 7? also I think my metal was contaminated because alls I had was 3m pads and acetone. I'm getting a ss wire brush today. I'll figure it out, going back out today. I'm using a metal welders finger and I was getting arcing on the bottom of the work piece while welding on the top. should I not be using a metal welers finger on aluminum? today I'm going to crank my balance control, lower amps and play with the pulse. we'll see what 125pps 95 background and 95 peaktime does. I don't know. My computer is a piece of ****. I've been having problems posting pictures etc.
    I'm working on it! BANG BANG ! wish I could weld it better. I got a new miter saw with lazer, stand etc. woo hoo ...............................................
    my father in law also just gave us his 14' fiberglass boat with a new eng. I havent seen it yet. he keeps it out at a friends place, out of town. I think it has a 40h on it. not sure yet. hopefully it's bigger he he he . I'll take some pictures when we get it. apparently it's in pristine shape. it has a new roof cover and has been stored in a heat and humidity controlled shop. anywho .............................the control panel looks awsome. I'm jelious !
    time to go bang my head off the wall. I'll never give up ................................................da mit.
    Syncro250DX Tigrunner
    Victor set
    Elite auto-helmet
    Dewalt Bench grinder
    Mastercraft miter saw
    Mac air tools
    Mac hand tools
    Toothbrush
    pencil
    toilet paper

Smile stacked dimes ........................................

Ok, so I cranked up the balance control to 7 and it worked great. I finally got the stacked dime effect. now I just have to play around and fine tune it. today went well. I butt welded tons of alum. with a nice stacked dime look. I was going crazy last night. I tryed cranking the pulse but only got a smooth finish. It seemed to work best on 1pps 75 peak and 25 background. I'll be playing with it for months. I'm one of thoes guys that just cant get comfortable until it's absolutely perfect. once I picked up my travel speed i found it easyer to create the stacked dime look. pre heating also helped out alot. my biggest problems now are cleaning the parts properly and the operator(me).
    Syncro250DX Tigrunner
    Victor set
    Elite auto-helmet
    Dewalt Bench grinder
    Mastercraft miter saw
    Mac air tools
    Mac hand tools
    Toothbrush
    pencil
    toilet paper

Default Honda sux?

SO my box of engine stuff (junk) came today. And now the work begins... Im going to be swamped with this engine.. Ive got alot of stuff to change out.
    Anybody know where i can get myself a good Merc? 60hp would be great
    Ive even got life jackets the say:
    "mercury, the water calls..." and it does...

Sigh... wish me luck guys...

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Standard modern lathe
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    little dog

all kinds of fun... sorry about the dark pics. I was going to photoshop the lot, but I was feeling lazy.

been thinking about reprofiling the cam, shaving the head, and boring .025 over. I wonder if I could get 70 hp out of this machine without having to run high test fuel.... put that on my 900 pound boat and she'll do close to 50 mph.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SignWave; 11-26-2007 at 01:01 AM.

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Standard modern lathe
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    little dog

what dark pics???? They look great!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks for the update!!!!!
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

I ordered all the gaskets for the engine on thursday. Been busy washing all the goo off of it so i will be ready to rebuild it.

The original block and pan had to be removed. I have another one to replace it. Hence the mess in my shop.

This will be the first outboard ive dismantled. Hope fully the last too.

Im going to be gettin another head for it complete with cam, valves, springs, everything really.

So im thinking.
    reprofile the cam and the valves, mill the head , polish the rods, rejet the carbs, bore it out 25 over, and polish the ports- maybe i can realize another 20 hp from this machine. That would be way cool.

70 hp in the shape of a 50... hehehehehe... the boat would fly.... well maybe not fly but it would plane real well...

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Standard modern lathe
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    little dog

Default still moving along...

This is my attempt at being a magician... My trick is to turn $hit into gold...

waiting on gaskets..

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Standard modern lathe
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    little dog