Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default HEAVY METAL: The Re-Cycle

Thought I would show off a little project I've been building for myself. I've been doing some practicing with my little MIG welder, and finally decided to put my welding skills to the test and build a pocketbike. This is not just any pocketbike, mind you - the entire bike is built from scrap metal I had laying around, plus parts from junker pocketbikes and gopeds.

So it begins ............. the Re-Cycle.

Height: 20" at handlebars, 15" at seat
    Length: 28"
    Width: 8"
    Wheels: 4" goped wheels, running 9x3.5-4 tires
    Drivetrain: 47cc pocketbike engine with CVT

Required:
    -Needs to be short enough to fit under the tonneau cover of my truck so it can be fully closed and locked - max height 16".
    -Front end easily removable to accomplish this, perhaps removeable handlebars.
    -Use pocketbike engine and goped wheels for drivetrain - #25 chain.
    -EXTRA CHALLENGE: make it all from recycled metal laying around. Only purchased items can be drivetrain and wheels.

The frame is made of four tire irons welded together, the inside of the wrench ends filled with - what else? - car lugnuts. The engine plate used to be part of an office keyboard track, with a curved slot cut out for carburetor clearance, and the crossmembers on the frame were bicycle kickstands.

The head tube is a small section of pipe with car lugnuts on either end, and a large 1/4" gusset plate to tie it into the arms of the frame.

The rear wheel mounts are cut-down training wheel mounts. A funny thing about goped wheels - the axles are fastened INSIDE the wheels, and can't be slid out like regular pb wheels (or if they have, I haven't found out how yet.) To accomodate this, slots were cut in the axle mounts with a 4" angle grinder and cutting wheel.

Cool

Like the tire iron frame. Looks good...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Here's another shot of those rear wheel mounts, and the mockup with the rear wheel in place:

And please no comments about how bad the welds look right now - these were all before cleanup ..... They look a lot better now.

Starting on the top half of the frame:

Top of frame in place and welded up:

(** Note: Earlier photos show a different head tube, made from a small section of 3/8" water pipe inside two sleeves, attached to one arm of a 3-piece bicycle crank. This design didn't work out very well, as the pipes wouldn't take a good weld and hold together. After several hours of frustration and easily-broken welds - not to mention enough cussing to make a sailor blush - out came the cutting wheel. **)

The front forks are also tire irons, with 1/4" steel plate for triple trees, and chopped-down training wheel mounts, doing the same trick with the slot. (Been using a LOT of cutting wheels - that 1/4" plate is tough stuff!)

(Yah, I know, the front forks aren't gonna turn with that big plate like that. I just didn't get a picture of the bottom end cut out yet.)
    Last edited by SpyGuy; 11-20-2009 at 11:20 PM.

Hey, starting to look like a bike now!

Well, let's drag out one of my REAL pocketbikes, and check out the difference:

For reference, that's a full-sized Cagllari/Daytona pocketbike, aka "Cag." The Re-Cycle is approximately two-thirds its size, and is running the same 47cc engine as the Cag, except for the transmission (trans for mine is actually off a larger bike).

Gas tank is a stock Cag/Daytona tank, secured with a big ol' hose clamp in pure redneck style. Have another tank on the way, and it will be hard-mounted to the frame using small wrenches as support brackets.

Yup, that IS a bicycle seat! The pipe it's mounted on used to be a set of mountain bike handlebars, cut and notched to fit on the new frame, and supported by a really big nut.

Here's a shot of the bike next to my Kragen Zooma goped:

Kinda hard to believe those ar the same size wheels, huh?