Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

You guys might want to put an angle iron for a way to line up your material on a 90 degree to your bandsaw. Something to push on before rolling it in your saw.

I use to work at A machining shop and at the band saw we had 20 feet of rollers they were all home made put togather with pipe and bearngs

I've got to cut the bolt down plates off the rear legs of the Ellis saw and weld on some that face the sides. Anyone have a source for that funky paint they use? That's the biggest issue I have left - deciding what color to paint my roller table. Nothing seems to go with the Ellis paint color. What do you call that color anyway?
    Millermatic 35
    Miller TB302G
    Ellis 1800
    Smith & Victor Torches
    Optrel Satellite
    Arcair K4000
    Ingersoll-Rand 175CFM Diesel Air Compressor
    Home Made Welding Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by garybdavis View Post
    What do you call that color anyway?
    Green!

Call Ellis, I’ll bet they’ll send you a pint! They are the nicest people to deal with!
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonora Iron View Post
    Green!

Call Ellis, I’ll bet they’ll send you a pint! They are the nicest people to deal with!
    The Ellis guys arent always friendly on the phone. I had two 1600's(one month old) and one was cutting in on the down stroke a little and I called them about it. The guy on the phone told me the blade wasnt tight enough. I told him it was as tight as anyone could do(I'm 270 with 14.5" forearms) without a cheater on the handle. After a bit of checking with machinist squares we found the assembly that holds the front guide bearing was out square with the frame. About .040 of shims fixed it right up. It has cut square for 5 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Carroll View Post
    (I'm 270 with 14.5" forearms)
    Remind me to call you sir!
    Caution!

I used some time off over the holidays to get most of the work done on the roller stand. The complete stand is 25' long with 8" I-beam skids for the base which makes the saw working hieght 36". The idea with the I-beam skids is to have the unit portable if I need to move it.

I have 14' 6" from the blade to the left most roller and 12' 6" to the right. Where the saw sits right now, I can place a 24' piece of steel on the left side rollers and move it far enough to the right to cut it in half. Even with only 14' of rollers supporting a 24' piece, it works pretty good. It took some advanced planning to make sure the rollers lined up with the saw table, but it worked on the first try.

I still need to make a stop block to fit in the unistrut, bolt down the saw and paint it, but other than that, its pretty well finished. I'll order the sticky back measuring tape for both sides but won't put it on until I get it painted. Still haven't figured out what color will go with the Ellis green paint.

I think I'll use it for a few weeks to see if I want to make any changes like add a tray to lay a tape measure and pencil on, etc.
    Millermatic 35
    Miller TB302G
    Ellis 1800
    Smith & Victor Torches
    Optrel Satellite
    Arcair K4000

Here is a close up of the skid with a "ski tip" on the end and some other photos. This should help if I ever need to pull it onto a trailer or drag it outside.

The overhead chain hoist was a back saver while putting this thing together.
    Millermatic 35
    Miller TB302G
    Ellis 1800
    Smith & Victor Torches
    Optrel Satellite
    Arcair K4000

WOW! Gary that’s an extraordinary job!
    Caution!

Great setup
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press