Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sign Wave,

I apologize for the way I "came down" on you. After going back and reading your posting, I now realize I was too harsh.

With all that said, I do agree that stainless fasteners are the best option for this application. Not perfect, but the best option. Proper selection of grade (316 preferred) and bedding compound will further enhance durability.

I'd also like to add that my previous response was partially motivated by a degree of frustration I get from reading other postings on this message board. Some of the more experienced guys do not post as much as some of the "internet welding experts". As an example, in another posting, one of the better TIG welders on this board (Engloid) had his recommendations shot down/criticized by a few posters who, I guarantee, can't hold a candle to Engloid's TIG experience. In fact, I'd venture to guess that he's forgotten more about tig than they'll ever know.

The new guy coming on the board with questions seldom has the experience to differentiate between good advice and bad advice. That's why he asked the question to begin with. He therefore looks at a poster's post count and says "this guy posts a lot, must know what he's talking about". Not really a good gauge. I'm not putting you in that category but I think you can understand where I'm coming from.

I'm not a "professional welder" (never relied on welding to put food on the table), but I have been welding for over 50 years (Stick, O/A, MIG, TIG--dad ran a body shop when I was growing up). I am an engineer (Civil & Industrial) who's also had the good fortune to have been around some of "the best welders" in their respective fields. While I do not consider myself a professional welder, my welding is.

By the way, I've never been known for having a lot of "tact". Guess some of that comes from 20+ years in the military working in the Spec. Ops. arena.

Enough of this rant.

Hope you have a great day.

Much appreciated Sundowner. Thanks for the apology. I dont claim to know everything, nor do I want to sound as if I do, but i do however know what I know. If that makes any common sence..? I post alot because I work mostly at a computer and I enjoy this "place". When My machines are set and cutting or printing, their isnt much else to do while supervising the operations, so I cruise about the site and look for stuff to comment on.. And I have seen Engloids work. I am truly amazed by his handywork. In fact something he mentioned got me thinking how the h-ll???? how is it possible to weld something so small that its barely a 16th of an inch around. incredible.

By the way SD, I respect the fact that you've been at this game longer than Ive been alive. Ive been a journeyman electrician for about 14 years now. (deosnt seem like much when you think about it but 14 years it is...) My ticket has taken me to some awesome places.. Ive been on military bases, airforce bases (special civilian clearances issued) , Ive worked on multimillion dollar yachts installing every spec of bloody wiring and equipment you could ever think of.. (what a nightmare), and ive done the more common stuff too.
    Ive seen alot of stuff in the last few years, Even motion pictures (the land of everything fake...) Anyway, were all human, we all make mistakes. we all (hopefully) learn from them, and we are all here together.

Thanks again for the apology.
    Will it weld? I loooove electricity!

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Precix 5x10 CNC Router12"Z
    Standard modern lathe
    Cheap Chinese mill that does the trick... sort of...
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    hammer and screwdriver (most used)
    little dog
    pooper scooper (2nd most used...)

Smile

thanks for all the posts. I got the help I was looking for.
    Syncro250DX Tigrunner
    Victor set
    Elite auto-helmet
    Dewalt Bench grinder
    Mastercraft miter saw
    Mac air tools
    Mac hand tools
    Toothbrush
    pencil
    toilet paper

Default 316 stainless

316 stainless is least susceptible to salt water corrosion.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Syncro250DX Tigrunner
    Victor set
    Elite auto-helmet
    Dewalt Bench grinder
    Mastercraft miter saw
    Mac air tools
    Mac hand tools
    Toothbrush
    pencil
    toilet paper