Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project Gallery

Default Project Gallery

I have been looking in the gallery and have found a lot of new stuff. Some of the projects are in the wrong category in my opinion. Lots of neat stuff in there.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Yep. There are some pretty neat projects. Funny thing though, if you read the comments on a project virtually all are requests for plans, no matter how complex or simple the project is.

Cool

I have had some requests for plans on my project comment section and didn't even know because i don't ever look. Guess i need to check more often too...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    I have had some requests for plans on my project comment section and didn't even know...
    I always thought you would receive a notification when your project gets a comment. How can you contact someone asking for plans when you don't know his email address?
    Steffen
    Krefeld, Germany

I guess my problem is that I don't have any plans, I just make stuff as I go...
    like this lamp from a freon tank ... I just cranked up the plasma cutter and started to work..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yea, its like the plans develop in your head as you go and disapear as soon as you finish.
    "The only source of knowledge is experience." Albert Einstein

What you fellows have said is precisely my point. Seems like we don't want to think for ourselves anymore. Wonder where the Wright Bros. got the plans for their Wright Flyer? Or, where did Henry Ford get the plans for his assembly line?

My work is so varied that if I had to do everything by plans, nothing would ever get done. I have to look at the project, determine a materials list, and try to proceed in a logical manner. Most of the time this works. Sometimes, however, I do have to backtrack a bit a correct something. Not often though.

Off my soapbox now.

It is great to see so many people making the tools, equipment and art that they need rather than buying it!

Monte, I was drooling over your CNC router project! I noticed it in the gallery after checking out your website.

OS - I understand your post on the thread I started now after reading the above post! Pretty funny.

I can understand why people request plans though. Some people have the ability to see or imagine a project and set about building it without so much as making a napkin sketch. That is a very valuable, and I believe pretty rare, trait for a fabricator. Others, myself included, need to put ideas on paper or get some plans before attempting to start fabrication. I admitedly spend a lot of time thinking/designing/sketching before I ever start cutting metal. A skilled builder would probably be done with most of my projects before I ever get started on them!
    Last edited by jpaddock; 11-23-2009 at 05:20 PM. Reason: update

That's what I do to. I'll sketch a design on paper and dimension it if it's more than just a simple project. That way I don't get lost in the build. If it's a critical project (ie sawmill, cnc router table, shop tool, etc...) I make very accurate drawings.

Don't misunderstand. Plans are a very necessary part of most successful projects. The point (humor) I was making is that it seems to be an automatic request from some people for plans for a project without even thinking about it. Makes me chuckle.

I come from a time when if you didn't have the money for something you wanted, you either built it from scrounged material, or you did without. I for one never had a store bought skateboard and all my bikes were put together out of discarded bikes. At the time, I wasn't too happy having to build all my stuff. Now though I'm glad I did. That experience has helped my throughout my life. I suspect Monte55 has done a bit of this also based on some of the projects he has in the gallery. His work is admirable as is yours.

Thanks again for entering your project. And, congratulations for winning. It was well deserved.

Plans, we don't need no stinkin plans.

I had a Miller cart for my old MM 140 and it did not take long for it to be way to small for all mystuff.

You can see how its grown...that old Miller cart still resides in there but a LOT has changed.

I am now think about how I rebuild it again.

Like you said I just build and when I finish then I forget the plans that I never had...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don
    Scottsdale, AZ
    www.savagesun4x4.com

MillerMatic 211 AS
    Hypertherm PowerMax30
    Bernard 300 Amp Q Gun
    Bernard 200 Amp Q Gun
    Milwaukee Band-saw/stand
    10 Angle Grinders 8, 4 1/2" -2, 7"
    DeWalt Chop Saw
    Craftsman Twin-Blade Saw