Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sonora Iron View Post
    At 35,000 pounds that should be plenty of safety factor!
    Trolleys for wide flange beams are hard to find, once you find one, and get back up off the floor you may need to float a loan to pay for it.
    Well I shot from the hip using dimensions I've used in the past. And granted I believe my w14X43 is actually a 2 ton beam not a one ton so yeah a bit of over kill.
    As for the trolly Well it depends on what you want to do and what you consider expensive.
    I have a 2 ton Cm loadstar with trolley in my shop looking for a home I'd be willing to part with it for cheap. It has a wide flange trolley on it.
    As for buying one well it would be cheaper to buy a hoist with a trolley attached. A yale or budget hoist would run about $1500 for a 1/2 ton unit.
    Our XN chain hoists with trolley would run upwards of $5K
    So yeah things can get expensive.

How much money do you plan to invest in this?? Crane systems are nice .... Nice and expensive

Place four columns in your garage. Columns should have a 10x10 base plate with 3/4" anchor bolts spaced 7x7" into the concrete floor min four inch depth. Span the top of the columns with w12x14
    then run a w12x14 from front to back of the two headers drill through and bolt all in place using 1/2" A325 bolts and nuts.
    This would give you a freestanding monorail system that could be rated for 1 ton. Load testing would be required
    Last edited by kcstott; 11-21-2009 at 06:19 PM.
    Miller Syncrowave 200 W/Radiator 1A & water cooled torch
    Millermatic 252 on the wish list
    Bridgeport Mill W/ 2 axis CNC control
    South bend lathe 10LX40
    K.O. Lee surface grinder 6X18
    Over 20 years as a Machinist Toolmaker
    A TWO CAR garage full of tools and a fridge full of beer
    Auto shades are for rookies
    www.KLStottlemyer.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sonora Iron View Post
    I like that site you recommended... I still might go with something like those yet.... I will build it then fasten it to the block wall and wood beam for stability.

Quote Originally Posted by kcstott View Post
    Load testing would be required
    Yeah, just be sure you wear one of these before load testing.

That ain't gonna help ya if a 500 lb beam comes falling on your head. The only thing it would be good for is to read the name on it so they know who was killed
    South bend lathe 10LX40
    www.KLStottlemyer.com

Another wayyyyyyy overkill thread,,, hahahaha

Yeah, back in the day ..... just throw a rope around the truss, hang a come-a-long from it, pulled and installed engines with it all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by JSFAB View Post
    Yeah, back in the day ..... just throw a rope around the truss, hang a come-a-long from it, pulled and installed engines with it all day long.
    That's still an option
    South bend lathe 10LX40
    www.KLStottlemyer.com

Smile The reason . .

The reason for for the high cost of factory built gantry cranes beyond the obvious cost to built it yourself can be summed up in one word, "liability" . . .

Steve
    Millermatic 251
    Lincoln AC/DC "Tombstone"
    Milwaulkee Grinder 4 1/2"
    Clark Grinder 4 1/2"

Quote Originally Posted by Wacko Welder View Post

The reason for for the high cost of factory built gantry cranes beyond the obvious cost to built it yourself can be summed up in one word, "liability" . . .

Steve
    Very true
    Our paper work on an inspection had better be perfect. if not it will come back an bite us in the butt
    South bend lathe 10LX40
    www.KLStottlemyer.com

Default lifting

Go to your local scrap yard and but the strangest beam you can find. Then go to Harbor Freight and buy a trolley and 1 ton chain fall for 100 bucks. O yea donít forget the lifting straps. Then when it all falls down you can call china with your lawsuit. JUST KIDDING! Lifting heavy loads is not something to mess around with. In my rigging training I learned 2 things, NEVER stand under the load, and NEVER use anything that is branded with the make CHINA.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Miller Spectrum 875 Plasma Cutter
    Miller Milermatic 135
    Ridgid Drill Press
    Ridgid Chop Saw
    36" Metal Break
    Harris Toarches
    English Wheel
    Ingersoll Rand, 18.1 cfm Compressor
    30 gal. Sand Blaster
    Planishing Hammer
    150lb Anvil