Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

W1,
    do you guys roll aluminum extrusions at your shop? like for a Burger king sign?

Ive got a client that wants to have a combination backlit/channel letter sign made. I figured that i could ligth it with super brights rather than neon, but im not sure how to make the transition and the honest truth is that rolling an extrusion is something that is simply magic... I kow it can be done but how its done is beyond me...
    Will it weld? I loooove electricity!

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Precix 5x10 CNC Router12"Z
    Standard modern lathe
    Cheap Chinese mill that does the trick... sort of...
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    hammer and screwdriver (most used)
    little dog
    pooper scooper (2nd most used...)

we have to "roll" square tubing all the time for signs, is this what you are talking about? i have had to roll channel as well.
    welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
    www.sicfabrications.com

Hi W1,
    No not square tube, but extrusions. like 8 inch box sides - usually a one inch tall profile or if you will a very wide u shape.

how would you go about creating a round back lit sign box?

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Standard modern lathe
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    little dog

signwave, roll it in a sheet metal roller. just take your time and make very slight and gradual adjustments. i had a job for a big city in mo. that i had to roll 4 inch architectural channel backwards into a 12 foot circle then weld .04 sheet to it on the sides. the hardest part was getting a good weld to the sides of the channel without blistering the sheeting. it can be done, just will take a while. if you get a roller make shure that it is motorized, or you have alot of buddies come over and take turns cranking the handle.
    welder_one

www.sicfabrications.com

W1,
    Do you mean to say that you are taking a flat peice of aluminum and rolling it. Once its rolled you weld on the sides? I think im not getting something here.

I'll take a photo of the extrusion im talking about and find a worldly example to show you.

Are ya finished with the "pile of work" yet?

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Standard modern lathe
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    little dog

i aint nowhere near close yet. today they threw 5 more books of this sign at me. meaning that i have 5 more sets of this sign to build i am very bored of this project now. i feel like a robot! i am yearning to build something new.

as for the rolling thing. i am talking about adjusting a sheet metal roller open enough to fit the extrusion in it and start rolling. you might have to anneal the metal. also if you'll take a peice of round stock the same length and set the web on it and feed it through, it will help you out alot as well. a pic sounds like a good idea.
    welder_one

www.sicfabrications.com

Quote Originally Posted by SignWave View Post
    how would you go about creating a round back lit sign box?
    i would use flat sheet and roll it to desired size, weld a flange on it then use lexan for the face. glue the lexan with a 2 part epoxy. 3m makes this stuff we use all the time and it is awesome!!!. you'll "rip" the aluminum in two after glueing 2 pieces together. i will get a name on it for you. the signage at lubbick international airport in lubbick, texas, the faces are all glued on, the the signs are mounted to the posts with it as well (customer specs)
    welder_one

www.sicfabrications.com

Thanks alot W1, I look forward to learning about this adhesive you mentioned.
    I take it that it is the same that you use to adhere the face on the honey combed panels? Im pretty sure thats what I read you said.

I have a two part here also made by 3m Im almost out, its been here for years. its a structural adhesive. one part is grey the other white and its a 3 to 1 mix. this stuff will hold elephants by their feet on a teflon ceiling..

I am doing two installs tonight. I'll take the pics and bring em back here. Post em later tomorrow.

Its halloween and im dressing up as a sign guy.....

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Standard modern lathe
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    little dog

we use a contact adhesive for the laminated panels, also made by 3m
    welder_one

www.sicfabrications.com

here are some more pics of the laminated job in progress. first 2 are of the faces being routed down to fit the frames. IMHO dewalt makes a dang good router. because of metal bow, we couldnt use the cnc machines, they all had to be routed by hand with a flush trim bit. 3rd pic is of reflective sheeting on one of the smaller panels. 4th is of some of the completed panels sitting on racks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    welder_one

www.sicfabrications.com