Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

here is a pic of some progress. these are the 4x12 frames. only 1/3 of what i need for half of the job. the second pic is of the aluminum honeycomb. i didnt think to put anything on it to show a size reference, but it is only 2 inches thick, the cells are about 3/8. i only cut my hand twice trying to get this pic...lol
    Attached Images Attached Images
    welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
    www.sicfabrications.com

I must have built 10,000 sign frames as a kid. To this day I can't stand them. If I had to build that thing I would probably shoot myself. By the time I build the third of something just alike I am bored to death. You have my sympathy, but it is job security and it could be worse. It could be a drilling rig, lol. They never do anything requiring a welder in the daylight, and normally whatever it is your standing on your head in the mud.
    Lincoln: Eagle 10,000, Weld-Pak HD, Weld-Pak 155, AC-225, LN-25 wirefeeder
    Miller: Syncrowave 250DX Tigrunner
    Westinghouse: 400+ amp AC
    ThermalArc Handy wirefeeder
    1 Harris, 3 Victor O/A rigs
    Arcair gouger
    Too many other power toys to list.

Do it right, do it once. And in all things ya get what ya pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by welder_one View Post
    signwave, we make these signs that are called internally illuminated. a 16 x 40 foot sign will use only 6 t-8 flourescent bulbs. i will have to ask where we get the dissipation cover from, but i will let you know. on the face of the sign is smoke or white lexan. legend applied to make the sign. right behind it is the dissipation cover and behind it are the lights. what it does is dissipates the light so the you cant tell where the "lights" are behind the sign face. if you roll this stuff into an arch and glue it to another piece flat to make a sideways "D" shiny side in. it will carry the light from a plain ole light bulb for as long as you want to. at the other end let it open into the opposite roll and it will dissipate the light to make it look like it is glowing. really neat stuff. i think 3-m makes it, but not real sure. and please feel free to "pick my brain". i can tell you about automation and all kinds of neat stuff
    Thanks W1, Much appreciated. Ive got two backlits on the go right now and one large exisiting awning.. One backlit is a new install and one is a nightmare...... have alook at the nightmare.. and the Z is a mockup for the client...
    I'll have to change out most everything. tubes ballasts, hopefully the tombstones and box are alright.. wish me luck.
    Will it weld? I loooove electricity!

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Precix 5x10 CNC Router12"Z
    Standard modern lathe
    Cheap Chinese mill that does the trick... sort of...
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    hammer and screwdriver (most used)
    little dog
    pooper scooper (2nd most used...)

best of luck, sir. any way i can help, just ask
    welder_one

www.sicfabrications.com

Thank you very much W1

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Standard modern lathe
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    little dog

here are some more pics of the job in progress as well as a better pic of the honeycomb. the first is of the smaller frames needed for this job as well. only 128 of them. the second 2 are more and better pics of the honeycomb. it comes from a company called plascore, i think that they are out of canada. not sure about that, though. the fourth pic is of glue being applied to the sheeting at the paintline, from there it goes through the oven only to remove moisture, then on to assembly. the frames and honeycomb also get done the same way. the last pic of this post is of the frame and honeycomb on the table with small peices of pvc pipe used for spacers. once the sheet is lined up right, then each pipe is slid out to glue the 2 of them together.
    welder_one

www.sicfabrications.com

lastly, it goes through the laminator that squeezes them together evenly. after this the panel gets moved to another area and a router with a flush bit removes excess sheeting, flip the panel and send it back through the paintline to glue on the face, then rout again. last, it gets the reflective sheet on the face. i am very tired of building these,a dn i cant wait until the next job, hopefully something new and exciting that i only have to build 2 or 3 of.
    welder_one

www.sicfabrications.com

Quote Originally Posted by welder_one View Post
    lastly, it goes through the laminator that squeezes them together evenly. after this the panel gets moved to another area and a router with a flush bit removes excess sheeting, flip the panel and send it back through the paintline to glue on the face, then rout again. last, it gets the reflective sheet on the face. i am very tired of building these,a dn i cant wait until the next job, hopefully something new and exciting that i only have to build 2 or 3 of.
    Hi W1,
    Just think of all the experience you're gathering..... Hahahahahaha!!!

I take it the the adhesive is some form of contact cement?

Im about the take possesion of a 5x10 router table. Should be here near the end of this month or the begining of Nov. Hopefully.... how big of a table do you have at your shop? who makes it? what kinda of spindle? mine is made by precix and its got an HSD 5hp 3ph spindle. variable frequency drive too.
    cheers.

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Standard modern lathe
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    little dog

signwave, i dont know much about our routers, but we have 6 of them. 3 of them say xyz on the side and the other three are thurmwood or something like that. one of them is 30 foot long, used for squaring panels. the rest cut legend and borders, and interstate shields and the likes of that. not to boast, but we are the largest sign shop in the world.

http://www.interstatesigns.com/

here is a link to our website.
    welder_one

www.sicfabrications.com

Hahahahahaa!! and im one of the smallest!! Hahahahaha!!!

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Standard modern lathe
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    little dog