Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default a pile of work!!!

i work for the interstate highway sign company, and we got this order for a "special" sign for an international airport. i cant say where or when, yet, but i can say that it is made of panels. the biggest panel is 4 foot by 12 foot. the other size is 18 inches by 12 foot. weld continous around corners, then grind back down flat and grind outside corners and edges back to square. these frames then get "stuffed" with aluminum honeycomb. i will post pics of the honeycomb later. after getting stuffed the panels then get .080 faces glued on to both sides. final assembly is 1-18 inch panel with 3 -4 footers on top. rows and rows of this to make a sign that is 860 feet long. i am tired of these frames already and i have only gotten 15 of them done. i guess i should say that the frames are of 2x2 square tubing .125 wall 6061t6.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
    www.sicfabrications.com

860ft??
    What the heck is it, a sign that says
    F-A-S-T-E-N--Y-O-U-R--S-E-A-T--B-E-L-T-S
    For along side the runway???

actually there arent any letters at all on it. only two different colors of reflective sheeting. like a candy stripe.
    Last edited by welder_one; 10-17-2007 at 07:14 PM. Reason: cant spell sometimes
    welder_one

www.sicfabrications.com

Default get on it man!

Get'er done-get'er done-get'er-done-done-done$$
    We depend On:
    Miller | Esab | Lincoln | Fronius
    Baileigh | Drake | Eagle | Knuth
    Victor | Harris | Smith | Bessey
    Snap-On | Hilti | Ingersoll Rand
    Burco/Koco | Onan | BobCat
    Tracker | Infratrol | AmeriCast

We belong to or support:
    American National Standards Institute
    American Welding Society
    The Welding Institute
    Fabricators & Manufacturing Association Int'l.

Anderson & Co. LLC
    Metal Cr
    afters

Welder_One,

Sounds as if the sign needs to be visible from "altitude".

I assume you're mig welding the corners. What machine are you using?

I can definitely see where a project of that scope would get "old" in a hurry.

I'd be very interested to see/hear more about the honeycombing you mentioned. I assume it's being done for additional strength.

Quote Originally Posted by welder_one View Post
    i work for the interstate highway sign company, and we got this order for a "special" sign for an international airport. i cant say where or when, yet, but i can say that it is made of panels.
    I do signage as well W1. Thats a lot of square feet. In the last two weeks Ive put up 300sqft. Pro bono for the local hospital. they are trying to raise money for a new emergency wing that is currently handling a volume equal to 200% capacity on a daily basis..
    Will it weld? I loooove electricity!

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Precix 5x10 CNC Router12"Z
    Standard modern lathe
    Cheap Chinese mill that does the trick... sort of...
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    hammer and screwdriver (most used)
    little dog
    pooper scooper (2nd most used...)

[QUOTE=SundownIII;19122]Welder_One,

Sounds as if the sign needs to be visible from "altitude".

I assume you're mig welding the corners. What machine are you using?

I can definitely see where a project of that scope would get "old" in a hurry.

I'd be very interested to see/hear more about the honeycombing you mentioned. I assume it's being done for additional strength.[/QUOTE

the sign is ground level, facing the runway. it might be for helping to control ground air speed or something like that.

i use ant xmt304 with an xr-a push/pull feeder, i have a 30 foot xr-edge gun on it. really nice set up, till you get tired and start tripping over your mig cables.

the honeycomb is for additional strength, i can post a pic of some this evening, when i get home from work. it is really neat stuff. i can walk around on it and it doesnt care. push it from the side and it folds up. we use cardboard honeycomb in other signs as well.
    welder_one

www.sicfabrications.com

Quote Originally Posted by SignWave View Post
    I do signage as well W1. Thats a lot of square feet. In the last two weeks Ive put up 300sqft. Pro bono for the local hospital. they are trying to raise money for a new emergency wing that is currently handling a volume equal to 200% capacity on a daily basis..
    do you cut legend out and apply to sign or do you screen print/ flood coat? thats cool that there is another sign bender on here. i just got done with 2 signs that went to disney in orlando. they looked like the number 7 with mickey mouse ears above the right hand side. there is a 6 foot tv that fit into the wing part of the "7" the pic below is one of them, my boss is screwing on the last sheet for the face. the other 2 are frame in progress.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    welder_one

www.sicfabrications.com

Hi W1, At this point in time Im a little bit smaller than I 'd like to be. My metal fabricating equipment acquisitions have occured only in the past 6 months. Im learning to weld, and form, but i still need some equipment.(dont we all....sign err i mean sigh)

Im currently putting a quote together for a backlit that i have very little idea about how i am going to create. I do know that come **** or high water, if the client wants it, theyll get it and it will be a quality product.

I am an electrician by trade and I run this signage Biz
    I cut and print vinyl with a cople of different machines and i waiting for delivery of a 5x10 cnc router table. oncew i getthis peice of machinery, the above mentioned sign and others like it should be a bit simpler to create and I hopefully wont have to farm out that aspect of my business.

I belive that the work you do is on a much gr4ander scale than mine and I do hope that you wont mind if I "pick your brain" from time to time. That would be greatly appreciated. Theres a very rich guy in my part of the world. His name is Pattison. Its my goal to one day be able to kick his ***... For now, Ill just keep dreaming...

oh yeah, I do screen print, paint, sandblasting, glasswork, woodwork,and something called
    Me me met metl metal wuh metal wurk... METAL WORK yeah thats it metal work...

the sign industry was described to meby a friend in the trade as the "wild wild west of jobs"
    why? because anything goes... Im sure you know what I mean....
    Have a good one.
    Last edited by SignWave; 10-18-2007 at 12:03 PM.
    Will it weld? I loooove electricity!

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Precix 5x10 CNC Router12"Z
    Standard modern lathe
    Cheap Chinese mill that does the trick... sort of...
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    hammer and screwdriver (most used)
    little dog
    pooper scooper (2nd most used...)

signwave, we make these signs that are called internally illuminated. a 16 x 40 foot sign will use only 6 t-8 flourescent bulbs. i will have to ask where we get the dissipation cover from, but i will let you know. on the face of the sign is smoke or white lexan. legend applied to make the sign. right behind it is the dissipation cover and behind it are the lights. what it does is dissipates the light so the you cant tell where the "lights" are behind the sign face. if you roll this stuff into an arch and glue it to another piece flat to make a sideways "D" shiny side in. it will carry the light from a plain ole light bulb for as long as you want to. at the other end let it open into the opposite roll and it will dissipate the light to make it look like it is glowing. really neat stuff. i think 3-m makes it, but not real sure. and please feel free to "pick my brain". i can tell you about automation and all kinds of neat stuff
    welder_one

www.sicfabrications.com