Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Forge

Default Forge

Hi all,
    Had a bit of shed time this week so i thought i would have a go at building a small forge for my home workshop. I have had the idea for a while since i picked up an old cylinder off the scrap heap.I have made a manifold inside out of 1 inch heavy wall pipe and have a fitting on the handle to connect the compressor hose, will add a valve later so I can adjust the flow rate at the handle instead of at the compressor. I Tried it out before painting and it worked quite well, just wish i had more room in my garage for a larger version but this will do for now. Anyway thats enough rambling let me know what you think.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks very good! What are you using for fuel? I have never used a forge so this will be educational for me.

Default fuel

Quote Originally Posted by weldwade View Post
    Looks very good! What are you using for fuel? I have never used a forge so this will be educational for me.
    Hi wade,
    Thanks for the kind words.I prefer to use coke as a fuel but until i can find a local supplier I am using BBQ heat beads.

Cheers,
    Steve

what no coal around "Newie" just head west a bit mate. lots of coal mines out that way. around the muswellbrook area.

just came back from there in Aug. was welding up in the mackay area.
    trail blazer 302
    hypertherm plasma
    millermatic 251
    high feq. arc starter
    suit case (extreme 12vs)
    o/a torches
    way to many other tools to list

Default coke not coal

G'day Arc,
    Plenty coal around Newie I contract at a lot of the collieries but coal is a bit dirty to burn at my house I would much prefer coke it burns a lot cleaner. I got rellatives up in mackay how did you like the area?

Cheers
    Steve
    '

That looks good. I dont belive I have every seen on done that way.

Thanks MKS,
    We used to use a large version at work made out of a 44 gallon drum lined with fire bricks, I have always liked the idea of adjusting the air flow from a compressor with a valve as the heat can be controlled really well. I was out lookind for a hardwood stand for my anvil on the weekend and came across a much larger cylinder G size here in australia, I don't know if that means anything to you guy's over their, so a larger forge may be in store for the near future. Thanks to everyone for there replies it is nice to get some feedback good or bad as i still have a lot to learn.

Cheers
    Steve

mackay was good, but i did like it down around your area a little better. just a little hot for a Canadian up there in the tropics, especially when ya got to start burning some rod.

ya i guess coal would be a little dirty for a home huh? forgot about that part...
    trail blazer 302
    hypertherm plasma
    millermatic 251
    high feq. arc starter
    suit case (extreme 12vs)
    o/a torches
    way to many other tools to list