Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: bobcat 250

Question bobcat 250

i have a bobcat 250 with an onan motor it is a couple of years old with very low hours. it will run on idle with the choke out and the same at full r.p.m. but when you push the choke in it dies out .it is starving for fuel i have put a new fuel pump on it and a new fuel filter on it but nothing changes.the fuel filter shows very little fuel getting thru it.i have blown out all hoses ther is no restrictions.

Either you neglected to hook your vacumn fuel pump hose up,the hose itself is not attached to the intake plenum, the hose itself is cracked, or your missing vacumn on one of your cylinders due to a failed spark pug, pushrods or other.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by moormach96 View Post
    i have a bobcat 250 with an onan motor it is a couple of years old with very low hours. it will run on idle with the choke out and the same at full r.p.m. but when you push the choke in it dies out .it is starving for fuel i have put a new fuel pump on it and a new fuel filter on it but nothing changes.the fuel filter shows very little fuel getting thru it.i have blown out all hoses ther is no restrictions.
    Just looking at the fuel flow through the filter is very deceiving.

Griff

Pull the gas hose off the carb and stick it in a jar and crank the engine over and see if it's pumping gas,if it is i would say it's in your carb.
    2 ea Miller Big 40 Cat cc cv Deluxe
    1ea Miller 400P cc cv Deluxe
    Miller Big Blue 300 Pro cc cv
    XMT 304 cc cv
    Miller 350P-XR-A Aluma Pro
    Miller 30A
    1ea X-Treme 12vs
    2ea Miller 12Rc
    Miller 24 A
    Miller 330 a/bp tig
    Dynasty 200 DX coolmate 3
    Millermatic 180
    Millermatic 180 auto set
    Lincoln Invertec 350 Pro
    Lincoln Idelarc SP 250
    2ea Lincoln LN-25 wire feeders
    2ea Powermax 1000
    1ea Bortech 300z Borewelder

I don't know if your Onan has the fuel shut off solenoid or not but if it does it might be worth checking. It will be screwed into the carb somewhere and have one or two wires running to it.

Here's a link to a post on a problem I had very similar to yours but was on a Robin engine.

Scroll down and there is a picture of it. On mine the rubber tip slid out and was partially shutting the fuel off.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...hortarc&page=2
    Trailblazer 302
    Lincoln SP-135-T
    Hobart Stickmate AC/DC
    Smith torch
    Spoolmatic 30A

I'm no Onan expert, but from my experience with small engines and older gas tractors, it sounds like a classic case of a clogged jet in the carburetor. After you've checked the fuel flow as suggested above and it's OK, then take the carb apart, remove the jets, and blow them out. If it's not too expensive, it's better to get a carburetor kit so you'll have new gaskets and be able to do it right. It's a pretty simple job.