Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Band Saw advice

Default Band Saw advice

I think the time has come to add a horizontal band saw to the shop. The Milwaukee dry saw does great for the smaller stuff and get good blade life but blade life shortens a lot with the thicker stuff. Which seems to be more and more. Been looking around at some and wanted to get some of y'alls thoughts. I'm looking to have the capacity to cut 4" square tubing at 45deg. a 7 x 12 should do the trick. I've already crossed HF off the list, The Northern too house brand looks decent, Ridgid is up there. Grizzly could be an option, the grizzly drill press I bought off of Craigs list has held up great. What brands am I missing that I should consider? Use is a bit more than hobbyist but not full scale production

Thanks

Scott
    Miller 350P
    Miller Econotig
    Milwaukee Dry saw
    Evolution Dry saw (for sale)
    Scotchman 350 cold saw
    7x12 bandsaw
    1910 ATW 14 x 72 lathe
    fridge full of adult beverages
    Sirius radio

www.snpequipment.com
    callouses and burns a plenty

The Wilton/Jet and Grizzly 7"x12" saws all seem to be very close. I wouldn't be surprised if they wern't all made in the same factory.

I bought the Wilton cause that's where I got the best deal, but was very close to ordering the Grizzly. I've been very happy with the Wilton. Just be sure you also order a bi-metal blade for it. The standard blades are junk.

Like you, I've had excellent luck with Grizzly tools. Got their 20" Drill Press, 8" Jointer, 6"x48" and 12" disc sander, etc. and have been very impressed with all their tools.

Buy where you get the best deal. All three of the above manufacturers offer good/excellent parts support.
    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
    More grinders than hands

I had good luck with my Grizzly band saw prior to selling it and buying an Ellis. Rather disappointed that it was only a horizontal model instead of the horz/vert it was listed as being, but not enough to ship it back. The machine cut aggressively and was a good value for the money.

Looking on the Grizzly site I see that several of their 7 X 12 band saws are now listed with free shipping. Might be the deal you are looking for. As far as the price differential between the step pulley and the gearhead models...I'd say that the step pulley model would serve quite well at half the price. There doesn't appear to be much difference in the models other than the drive system.
    Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
    Miller DialArc 250
    Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
    Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
    Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
    Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
    South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
    Logan 7" shaper
    Ellis 3000 band saw
    Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
    Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
    3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
    Lots of dust bunnies
    Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Quote Originally Posted by STRENGTH AND POWER View Post
    I think the time has come to add a horizontal band saw to the shop. The Milwaukee dry saw does great for the smaller stuff and get good blade life but blade life shortens a lot with the thicker stuff. Which seems to be more and more. Been looking around at some and wanted to get some of y'alls thoughts. I'm looking to have the capacity to cut 4" square tubing at 45deg. a 7 x 12 should do the trick. I've already crossed HF off the list, The Northern too house brand looks decent, Ridgid is up there. Grizzly could be an option, the grizzly drill press I bought off of Craigs list has held up great. What brands am I missing that I should consider? Use is a bit more than hobbyist but not full scale production

Thanks

Scott

I've had this one for about 5 years now - no problems and it's cut one heck of a lot of steel. I would definately buy another....

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...&PARTPG=INLMK3

I just picked up an almost new Vectrax 7x12. Only used it a couple of times so far but it seems to work well. This is the same as the Craftsman 7x12 catalog #009-22612N.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

I saw a Jet at the local TSC store a few months ago. It looked to be well built and had a coolant pump and priced just under a grand. I'd prefer not to buy an import myself but there doesn't seem to be much built in the U.S. anymore including Clausing mills & lathes which are now being made overseas. Check with your local used equipment surplus dealer and see what they have to offer.
    Blondie (Owner C & S Automotive)

Colt the original point & click interface!

Millermatic 35 with spot panel
    Miller 340A/BP
    Victor O/A torches
    Lincoln SP125
    Too many other tools to list

03 Ram 1500
    78 GS1000
    82 GL1100 Interstate

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by STRENGTH AND POWER View Post

Thanks

Scott
    I bought mine 5 years ago from MSC. It is a "Cosen" brand, made in Taiwan, and cost $2400. I believe the capacity is 10"x17". I know it will 45 4"square tubing as I do quite a bit of 4".

Griff