Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by FusionKing View Post
    word play....a buggy made from 4wd truck....TRU(ck..+..bu)GGY= TRUGGY
    I always thought the truggys were only 2 wheel drive. Perhaps I've been mislead?

I much prefer the mud boggers myself. If it ain't muddy it ain't worth a pinch of owl poop!
    Blondie (Owner C & S Automotive)

Colt the original point & click interface!

Millermatic 35 with spot panel
    Miller 340A/BP
    Victor O/A torches
    Lincoln SP125
    Too many other tools to list

03 Ram 1500
    78 GS1000
    82 GL1100 Interstate

Default Muddin.

Man. I remember the days when I got off work, bought a sixer or a twelve pack, met up with some friends and we just hit the back roads looking for some mud holes to play in. My old toyota hardly ever let me down. Truggies are being built in 4x4 versions. I think they have been for a while.
    Bobcat 225
    Radnor o/a
    An assortment of
    other tools and toys.

The one DANO!

From what I've seen of the truggys they have a very long travel front suspension from fabricated A arms and usually 2 or 3 shocks one each side. That would mean if they were 4 wheel drive you would have to use a differential in the front without axle tubes but rather flanges to mount CV joints to and use a half shaft for each side of the front end.

Is this how they're doing it? I've been out of the offroad scene for about 25 years or better now. Back then I was building Volksie powered buggies and at the local strip mines was chewing up the 4x4's through all but the mud holes. Then I made the mistake of driving a 4x4 in the mud pit and was instantly hooked. Went out and bought a rat Bronco and built a really overpowered engine, welded the spiders and went muddin.

Miller 340A/BP
    Victor O/A torches
    Lincoln SP125

03 Ram 1500
    78 GS1000
    82 GL1100 Interstate

Default buggys now.

Buggys now are by defenition rock buggys or mud buggys. Most have some varient on the front suspension, but all are four wheel drive. Either solid front axle or independent front end. Sand rails and dune buggys are still two wheel drive. I am speaking from the four wheel drive point of view. Check out a 4x4 mag, and or go to poisonspyder.com or bluetorchfab.com. They build tube chassis for the rock climbing buggys and offer some accessories. Man, and I thought I had been out of touch. 4 wheeling is bigger than ever. Mud racing is going full bore. We have guys around here doing some bigfoot style trucks just to mud race with. It's insane. I love my 4x4s. You can take the kid out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the kid. LOL!!
    Bobcat 225
    Radnor o/a
    An assortment of
    other tools and toys.

The one DANO!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigiron View Post
    Buggys now are by defenition rock buggys or mud buggys. Most have some varient on the front suspension, but all are four wheel drive. Either solid front axle or independent front end. Sand rails and dune buggys are still two wheel drive. I am speaking from the four wheel drive point of view. Check out a 4x4 mag, and or go to poisonspyder.com or bluetorchfab.com. They build tube chassis for the rock climbing buggys and offer some accessories. Man, and I thought I had been out of touch. 4 wheeling is bigger than ever. Mud racing is going full bore. We have guys around here doing some bigfoot style trucks just to mud race with. It's insane. I love my 4x4s. You can take the kid out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the kid. LOL!!
    I may have to think about building another mudder. Where I live there 2 places that have mud bogs now. Buckeye Lake has them every Friday night and I forget what the other was. They have classes for the little 1.3L Suzuki Samurais and Sidekicks to full blown boggers running blowers, nitrous or even some alky burners too. I've got this old ragged out Burb. I had been thinking of building a panel truck out of it and tricking it out complete with a hummin Cummins under the hood. I'd of course have to scrap the bowtie engine and put something with a blue oval in the engine house but that can all be done. Would also have to find a set of Danas to beef up to pull it through the mud without breaking easily.

Miller 340A/BP
    Victor O/A torches
    Lincoln SP125

03 Ram 1500
    78 GS1000
    82 GL1100 Interstate

Default Let me know if you scrap the bow tie.

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie_486 View Post
    I may have to think about building another mudder. Where I live there 2 places that have mud bogs now. Buckeye Lake has them every Friday night and I forget what the other was. They have classes for the little 1.3L Suzuki Samurais and Sidekicks to full blown boggers running blowers, nitrous or even some alky burners too. I've got this old ragged out Burb. I had been thinking of building a panel truck out of it and tricking it out complete with a hummin Cummins under the hood. I'd of course have to scrap the bowtie engine and put something with a blue oval in the engine house but that can all be done. Would also have to find a set of Danas to beef up to pull it through the mud without breaking easily.
    If that bow tie is still in decent shape and is not a big block, I might be interested in taking it off your hands if you want to part with it. Let me know what you think and a price.
    Bobcat 225
    Radnor o/a
    An assortment of
    other tools and toys.

The one DANO!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigiron View Post
    If that bow tie is still in decent shape and is not a big block, I might be interested in taking it off your hands if you want to part with it. Let me know what you think and a price.
    It's a 350 not sure if it's 4 bold main block but suspect it is with over 120k on it needs rebuilt badly. I won't get around to pulling it out till next year anyway but if you still want it then we can work something out.

Miller 340A/BP
    Victor O/A torches
    Lincoln SP125

03 Ram 1500
    78 GS1000
    82 GL1100 Interstate