Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Project idea I am considering...

Ok. I have seen truggies and buggies. I have seen jacked up 4x4s of all kinds. I have been messing with 4x4s for over a decade. I want to build my own buggy/truggy to haul to various rides and so on. I know the basics of how and what I want to do. I am curious about building the frame instead of chopping and welding on an automotive frame. How hard is it to build a custom frame? I will be running a small block v-8, most likely a chevy 350 variant. If I can find an sm-420 or 465 tranny and an np-205 splitter. I'm in the air about the axles and suspension. I want to be sturdy yet light for the horsepower. I also want to be able to tackle a variety of terrain. Not much for rocks in Louisiana, but I need to be able to handle them if I travel. Basically I need to find and all around platform to work with and build. Hills, mud, ravines, rocks, water crossing (i.e. snorkeling the intake). Any experiance and knowledge will be helpful. Materials info, tool info, the works. Thanks fellas.
    Bobcat 225
    Radnor o/a
    An assortment of
    other tools and toys.

The one DANO!

I would look into an already designed chassis and virtually copy it. Most of the attachment points and hardware mounts are available from competition engineering or one of the other chassis parts builders. You are looking into a long term project, an idea is to use basically factory designed components and make the adaptation from there. Jeep hard parts are plentiful in junk yards and relatively solid, but for serious tire combinations you may want more like dana 60 rear and dana 44 front as the axles. I prefer the NP 208 out of 1 ton fords and the like , {gear to gear as opposed to a chain** Never broke mine with over 270,000 miles under a very heavy foot. Trans, your choice in chevy can built as heavy as needed for your duty. I would recommend a low cam lift with lots of duration, not a high bumppppp stick. Low end torq is where big tires live mostly in the grunt zone.

Paul

Default I got...

a line on some 2 1/2 ton rockwells that I am considering for the beef, but I don't know for sure if that is the direction I want to go. I am having my wife's step dad check on them for me. He does part time work for the guy who has them. I'll be honest. I never heard of the np208, or had forgotten about it. I'd like to keep the overall length around that of a short bed short wheel base toyota. The width I am still trying to decide on. I want to keep the center of gravity low. Minimum tire size would be 37". Maximum is undetermined at this point. I may end up using a toyota frame if I can get a line on one that is not toast. Just to ease up the build some. I can spec out the roll cage from there.

Yes, it will be very long and time consuming. I like the idea though. I plan on trying to make a very capable rig that can stand up to a lot, and also be extremely functional. On board air and other necessities. Any more tips and hints would be well appreciated. Thanks.
    Bobcat 225
    Radnor o/a
    An assortment of
    other tools and toys.

The one DANO!

np205 is all gear driven & virtually bullet proof. You can't go wrong with it although some of the newer transfer cases have a lower low range. 2 1/2 ton rears might be to heavy for a buggy.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Default On the other end of the spectrum.

I could always take it slow and small. Use 8 inch toyotas front and rear. They hold up pretty good with a little common sense. There are a ton of options out there that are workable. Just throwing the idea out there to see what kind of responses I get mainly.
    Bobcat 225
    Radnor o/a
    An assortment of
    other tools and toys.

The one DANO!

The best diffs are going to the main stays from ford dodge or chevy,{parts available and upgrade choices** 10 bolt chevy or 12 belt chevy, dana 60 rear and dana 44 fronts, and ford 9" and 8.8" rear difs are all serious with the available upgrades.

I appologize for my earlier NP 205 mistake, I was confusing the 203 and 205,,,too long since I built a 4x4. My f150 has a 208 one ton transfer case.

Also, building the connection links for the multi-link differential suspension setups, use 4130 CrMo steel.

A kingpin high pinion Dana 60 front out of an '86-'91 F350 would be my choice for the front axle. Rear axle, GM 14-bolt 10.5". Transfer case, NP205 with low gear kit. Trans, NP435.
    Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
    Millermatic175
    MillermaticPassport/Q300
    HTP MIG200
    PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
    ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
    DialarcHF, Radiator-1
    Hypertherm PowerMax 380
    Purox oxy/ace
    Jackson EQC
    -F350 CrewCab 4x4
    -LoadNGo utility bed
    -Bobcat 250NT
    -PassportPlus/Q300
    -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
    -Suitcase8RC/Q400
    -Suitcase12RC/Q300
    -Smith oxy/propane
    -Jackson EQC

Im pretty lost here. What is a truggie? When I look it up all I find is radio control toys. SBC in an rc? I dont think so.
    Who do you call when the lawmakers ignore the law?

Miller AC/DC Thunderbolt 225
    Miller 180 w/Autoset
    Old cutting torch on LPG