Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Syncrowave 200 not arcing

i just bought a syncrowave 200 tig welder used, it has about 34 hours on it. i was welding last night, it was welding great and this morning when i tried to continue welding it wouldnt arc . it would make the hight frequency noise when i hit the pedal, the gas was flowing, and the ground was good but no arc. when i look at the display it said 5 amps with the pedal all the way down and just wouldnt go any higher. any ideas?

Default Checklist

Quote Originally Posted by River City Chop Shop View Post
    i just bought a syncrowave 200 tig welder used, it has about 34 hours on it. i was welding last night, it was welding great and this morning when i tried to continue welding it wouldnt arc . it would make the hight frequency noise when i hit the pedal, the gas was flowing, and the ground was good but no arc. when i look at the display it said 5 amps with the pedal all the way down and just wouldnt go any higher. any ideas?
    Go through your set-up sequencing, as if you were starting a new project. All the controls, connections, tungsten stick out, etc. If it only has 34 hours on it, and the problem still persists, it should still be under warranty.

Hope this helps

Dave
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

The meter reading is all the time or just when the foot pedal is depressed ?
    Kirk Kopitzke
    Service Technician
    Miller Electric Mfg. Co.

Default Still not working

so i went through everything. i unplugged every cable, the bottle, re ground my tungsten, replaced the collet and collet body,cleaned my ground clamp, checked my electrical, and reset every setting on my welder, still no arc.

the 5 amps is only displayed when i push the pedal down, but it stays at 5 no matter how far i push the pedal down. i have the welder set at 200 amps.

It may be the pedal..... have you tried unplugging the pedal and trying to start the arc from 'touch-start'?

Default Sync 200 Woes

so i went through everything. i unplugged every cable, the bottle, re ground my tungsten, replaced the collet and collet body,cleaned my ground clamp, checked my electrical, and reset every setting on my welder, still no arc.

the 5 amps is only displayed when i push the pedal down, but it stays at 5 no matter how far i push the pedal down. i have the welder set at 200 amps.
    Jot down the serial number of the machine, and contact Miller. There have been a couple 200's lately, that had control board issues, fixed under warranty. They can walk you through the steps, and see if the machine has an internal problem.

Dave
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Default fixed

so it was the torch. the power cable in the torch broke. i hooked up my arc welding electrode holder with a piece of filler rod in it and kept the setting on tig welding. i hit the pedal and it worked, so i knew it was my torch. simple fix.

thanks for everyones help!